Quantcast

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum bud — question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Omg this roth spike...I’m over the moon, just cannot believe I’m getting to see this, it will be the first P. rothschildianum I have ever beheld in person and it’s happening in my window!!!!! Many of you are probably bored with my bragging over this plant, collected in the 50s and tended by loving people in undiluted form ever since. This IS your father’s rothschildianum — your Heavenly Father’s, that is! (If you believe in that sort of thing lol). This morning it had grown I kid you not at least 3 inches in two days. I didn’t know they went this fast! Can’t resist sharing and there will probably be more to come, sorry and thank you in advance, I’m not as cool as some of you and I don’t care, THIS IS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!
The question I have is, should I be concerned that the stem seems to be arching downward? If this is what it would have done on the Bornean mountainside then FINE, I’ll let it be. I’ve never trained a spike in my life and would be reluctant to start with this succulent miracle. But maybe it will start to arch up? I have never witnessed a multifloral’s process and I just don’t know what to expect here. Note the cold, dismal weather outside my window... we are heading for 8” if snow tonight and tomorrow and temps down below 0F; you Celsius people all seem to live in places that just don’t experience such true extremes so let me put it this way: the air hurts your face.

Attachments

tomBEE

Reaction score
The buds look pretty. For me, it is a fantastic process from noting the new flower bud until it ultimately flowers. Good luck and keep us posted!

troy

Reaction score
Some of my Influorescence that grow fast twist while growing to upright, just make sure you don't change the plants direction from light while flower development then you will have a problem

gego

Reaction score
It is seeking the light. Even the leaves are bending and twisting towards the window.
Might be too late to stake up but it would help to add a stake just to support the spike and let it do what it wants to do..

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
6520063A-26FB-41E4-8404-039DC5F9A937.jpeg I sorta pulled it very gently with some coated wire. It’s more resting on the wire than anything. 6520063A-26FB-41E4-8404-039DC5F9A937.jpeg

musa

Reaction score
What is the reason for staking it at all? Of course it is easyer to handel and needs less space. Nevertheless I don't use any stakes because I like the natural way of "hanging" inflorescences. To my eyes that is very showy...

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
What is the reason for staking it at all? Of course it is easyer to handel and needs less space. Nevertheless I don't use any stakes because I like the natural way of "hanging" inflorescences. To my eyes that is very showy...
’m mostly with you! But I did give it some support, partly because I was afraid of the flower buds touching the cold window.

emydura

Reaction score
That looks a lovely tall spike with the flowers held well above the foliage. Often that is not the case with roths.

I generally find the spike with roths is naturally held quite upright so they don't need a lot of training. Still I generally still stake to ensure they flowers are held as upright as possible. This species definitely looks better when the spike is bolt upright. You don't want it leaning forward.

The fact your spike is so tall means you really need to train it with a wooden/metal stake as Stephen recommended. What you have done is not going to achieve the ideal outcome. You want the spike perfectly straight.

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I really appreciate all this support! The lowest bud has begun to open!!

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score