Paphiopedilum purpuratums: A Family in Bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most album have very light green leaves. Perhaps this one might maintain this colouring.

it looks bigger in picture lol... it’s in a 3 inch plastic pot.

So today I looked at my purpuratums and groomed them a bit. Lots of new growths but no buds still.

Might still have time, or maybe they plan to skip a year. Let us pray to the orchid gods for a bountiful harvest of flowers!

View attachment 24612View attachment 24613
They look great and I don’t understand skipping a year. Assume they’re getting cool nights? Did you try drying them out for a couple weeks? I never had adult purpuratum skip. Did you make them carry seed pods last time? No experience with that. Also, where’s your album?

I have kept them slightly drier and cooler. Maybe they are just waiting for the right time. The latest bloom season is March so its a race. If not I guess there will be more growths to bud later in fall.

I have sad news to report. The purpuratum album developed crown rot few months back even with my careful monitoring. I tried everything to save it but alas to no avail. It was one of the saddest days of my life. RIP 🙏.

All my condolance for your burial in white!
Is a temperature droop absolutly necessary for flower induction? Will be difficult to create that in my growing space. I just have one blooming but that flower is not my credit as I bought it last November.

All my condolance for your burial in white!
Is a temperature droop absolutly necessary for flower induction? Will be difficult to create that in my growing space. I just have one blooming but that flower is not my credit as I bought it last November.
Thanks for the condolences to you and BrucherT. Unfortunately it will be a notch in my learning (belt) curve of what not to do to kill a purpbum in the future. The lesson is that I grew the seedling like an adult (cool area) and should have grown it warm like a seedling. Hopefully I can secure another one.

A temperature drop seems to be the requirement along with dryness period to trigger this species (a cold window of 15C in Austria is doable I am sure). But I have seen many people bloom them without (like Joker's post with the cinnamon leaves). So I think its really up to the plant.

As for my purp family, I have chilled them a bit more and (trying hard) to hold water back. Lets see if this will trigger them as many growths just reached maturity this month.

Thanks for your reply; directly behind the window there should be a cooler draft, I'll try that next winter. Keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back