Quantcast

Paphiopedilum purpuratums: A Family in Bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I think most album have very light green leaves. Perhaps this one might maintain this colouring.

it looks bigger in picture lol... it’s in a 3 inch plastic pot.

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
So today I looked at my purpuratums and groomed them a bit. Lots of new growths but no buds still.

Might still have time, or maybe they plan to skip a year. Let us pray to the orchid gods for a bountiful harvest of flowers!

20210109_175141.jpg20210109_175137.jpg

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
So today I looked at my purpuratums and groomed them a bit. Lots of new growths but no buds still.

Might still have time, or maybe they plan to skip a year. Let us pray to the orchid gods for a bountiful harvest of flowers!

View attachment 24612View attachment 24613
They look great and I don’t understand skipping a year. Assume they’re getting cool nights? Did you try drying them out for a couple weeks? I never had adult purpuratum skip. Did you make them carry seed pods last time? No experience with that. Also, where’s your album?

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have kept them slightly drier and cooler. Maybe they are just waiting for the right time. The latest bloom season is March so its a race. If not I guess there will be more growths to bud later in fall.

I have sad news to report. The purpuratum album developed crown rot few months back even with my careful monitoring. I tried everything to save it but alas to no avail. It was one of the saddest days of my life. RIP 🙏.

musa

Reaction score
All my condolance for your burial in white!
Is a temperature droop absolutly necessary for flower induction? Will be difficult to create that in my growing space. I just have one blooming but that flower is not my credit as I bought it last November.

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
All my condolance for your burial in white!
Is a temperature droop absolutly necessary for flower induction? Will be difficult to create that in my growing space. I just have one blooming but that flower is not my credit as I bought it last November.
Thanks for the condolences to you and BrucherT. Unfortunately it will be a notch in my learning (belt) curve of what not to do to kill a purpbum in the future. The lesson is that I grew the seedling like an adult (cool area) and should have grown it warm like a seedling. Hopefully I can secure another one.

A temperature drop seems to be the requirement along with dryness period to trigger this species (a cold window of 15C in Austria is doable I am sure). But I have seen many people bloom them without (like Joker's post with the cinnamon leaves). So I think its really up to the plant.

As for my purp family, I have chilled them a bit more and (trying hard) to hold water back. Lets see if this will trigger them as many growths just reached maturity this month.

musa

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply; directly behind the window there should be a cooler draft, I'll try that next winter. Keep you posted.

Michael Bonda

Reaction score
Fantastic group. One of my favorite species. But I have about 10 favorite species. I know with your skill your album will flower too!