Paphiopedilum purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 times. It bloomed every year. I'm pleasantly surprised. It is the most prolific Paph species in my collection.
I only see a single plant, does the plant that flowered before die before the next flowers? The reason I asked because I have one that regularly flowers but I could never make them to clump.
Thanks

3 times. It bloomed every year. I'm pleasantly surprised. It is the most prolific Paph species in my collection.
First year (2019), it bloomed on 2 growths (1 flower per spike, 2 flowers total)
second year (2020), produced 1 new growth, it bloomed on 1 growth (1 flower). The flower was bloomed on the new 2020 growth.
This year (2022), produced 1 new growth in spring 2021, it is currently blooming on the 1 growth (1 flower). The flower is blooming on the new 2021 growth (spiked later on this growth).

The plant still has the fan from 2020, and one of the fans from the 2019 growths (so 2 old growths that already bloomed). The other 2019 fan died back.

Maybe it will shoot out a new growth on one of the older growths, I don't know.

I have a Paph hookerae, and I think this species is the one that doesn't really clump. The new growth is getting quite big now but the old growth only has 1 leaf left, by the time this new growth blooms, the old growth will be gone.

Last edited:
First year (2019), it bloomed on 2 growths (1 flower per spike, 2 flowers total)
second year (2020), produced 1 new growth, it bloomed on 1 growth (1 flower). The flower was bloomed on the new 2020 growth.
This year (2022), produced 1 new growth in spring 2021, it is currently blooming on the 1 growth (1 flower). The flower is blooming on the new 2021 growth (spiked later on this growth).

The plant still has the fan from 2020, and one of the fans from the 2019 growths (so 2 old growths that already bloomed). The other 2019 fan died back.

Maybe it will shoot out a new growth on one of the older growths, I don't know.

I have a Paph hookerae, and I think this species is the one that doesn't really clump. The new growth is getting quite big now but the old growth only has 1 leaf left, by the time this new growth blooms, the old growth will be gone.
P. purpuratum is my favorite of all!
Have you ever tried KelpMax on your plants? I’ve been dousing mine with it after I remove the flower (I let the flower start to go down) and usually get at least two new fans out of the last one. This species is one that I divide and give away because I have several, so I never get a huge clump but I do find that it does clump up.

P. purpuratum is my favorite of all!
Have you ever tried KelpMax on your plants? I’ve been dousing mine with it after I remove the flower (I let the flower start to go down) and usually get at least two new fans out of the last one. This species is one that I divide and give away because I have several, so I never get a huge clump but I do find that it does clump up.
My group of purpuratums clump up usually. Most have 5-7 growths in total plus new baby fans. They don’t bloom often, skipping a year sometimes. Hopefully the mature groups will all bloom simultaneously! What joy then!

Latest posts

Back