Paphiopedilum purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolverine329

Reaction score
Hi all

not the best of photography + colour and form. but this is the first flowering for me I am quite pleased with how it turns out. it has budded last year but blasted in sheath.

the stem is way too short, anyone has any idea what causes short stem? the plant itself should be OK as it is putting out new growth at the back.

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 55
i think the last few months temp ranges around 20-28 C.

I grow it under T5 light, about 20cm away from the light tube. and where the plant is it gets occasionally morning sun.

mine blasted last year on an immature growth, is it the same in your case?

mine blasted because i accidentally unpotted it while watering and forgot to repot if for about a month
at least, i think that's why....

I always tell myself if the plant didn't flower then the energy should have been reserved somewhere in the plant so I wish you a sturdy growth next season.

I prefer short stemmed flower actually ,nice and compact. as long as it doesn't indication a serious problem to the plant's health

I agree with paphioboy.

The flower looks quite nice. I don't think I'd worry about the short inflorescence. It doesn't look abnormal.

I've gone through a bunch of these over the years.

I'm breaking longevity records with this newest batch. I think I'm up to 3 years now, and getting lots of new growth. Leaf color and substance much better too.

I think the biggest thing I can relate to the success is reducing the K in fertilizer and increasing Ca and Mg.

Initially I'd loose them when humidity dropped too, but even after increasing humidity to stay above 70% longevity was 2 years max.

The Mg initially made fast improvements and the complete reduced K/ high Ca fertilizing is really looking good at this time.

Back