Paphiopedilum purpuratum surprise!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum purpuratum is my favorite orchid of all. The story of its extirpation/extinction in the wild was the first time my heart ached for a slipper (my Dad was one of those who used it as a fish tank decoration in the 50s and 60s). I have three specimens, this is my newest, acquired from Terry Partin two years ago. Love it for the foliage alone. This is its first flowering, a little crooked but I love wild forms and the color and size make me happy. Today I was showing it off and got a shock! Never posted photos here before so I hope this works. Photos range from the day after it opened about 6 weeks ago to today with the surprise bonus coming out of the same fan! Love this orchid and love to see photos of yours. Potter for me by Terry in Hauserman’s paph mix. Watered with pure RO, fertilizer every third watering, small amounts of Cal-Mag every month, I adhered to a dry period from about Thanksgiving to New Year’s.

Attachments

• 18121AA1-6B0F-4BF2-8757-9887757A3EA6.jpeg
    18121AA1-6B0F-4BF2-8757-9887757A3EA6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 901B4DE0-1A5F-4F4E-A89E-000B5C28A443.jpeg
    901B4DE0-1A5F-4F4E-A89E-000B5C28A443.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 51
  • CC8F6CAC-D850-4381-AFFA-05CED4240313.jpeg
    CC8F6CAC-D850-4381-AFFA-05CED4240313.jpeg
    650.8 KB · Views: 53
  • C4402451-6053-460C-9076-B4CF8FB029D0.jpeg
    C4402451-6053-460C-9076-B4CF8FB029D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 68A74364-6EC2-45AD-910E-7BC2B23AF835.jpeg
    68A74364-6EC2-45AD-910E-7BC2B23AF835.jpeg
    698.3 KB · Views: 50
  • B048AA74-E2E9-4DB2-AD04-EE2C59DE8974.png
    B048AA74-E2E9-4DB2-AD04-EE2C59DE8974.png
    719.2 KB · Views: 52
  • ACF3C6D4-72CC-41BB-A3B2-5C23E6497C98.png
    ACF3C6D4-72CC-41BB-A3B2-5C23E6497C98.png
    689.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 53208B59-5F93-417B-A22D-200380E5546A.png
    53208B59-5F93-417B-A22D-200380E5546A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 63B67BFE-5E91-4D0E-A0BD-ECFB7860DDFE.jpeg
    63B67BFE-5E91-4D0E-A0BD-ECFB7860DDFE.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Aw thank you, I’m just a window grower so I really appreciate that. It does seem pretty happy and I never had a regular Paph throw up a little bonus flower from the same fan before. I swear I didn’t see it last time I watered and suddenly, BOOM. Interesting that my other two P. purpuratum chose not to bloom this year. Same culture but it was a tough winter and I feel like they are biding their time to make a show next year.

Congrats on your interesting double blooming! That was a first sight for me too - have seen the lucky double flowering on the same inflorecence, but never two inflorecences from the same growths!

Kind regards, Jens

Congrats on your interesting double blooming! That was a first sight for me too - have seen the lucky double flowering on the same inflorecence, but never two inflorecences from the same growths!

Kind regards, Jens

Thank you Jen’s! I’m really surprised! This specimen puts out extra new growths and I was expecting both identical, simultaneously developed indistinguishable fans to bloom. But the other mature growth isn’t producing...instead I got this little fella popping up from the same fan and what a delightful shock. It’s a tiny lower but looks like it will open so I’m excited to see if there are and differences. I stopped feeding when the big flower opened, just 50-50 RO-tap. Love this species and this plant. Was I initially surprised the stem was so short but this is its first bloom for me and anyway I like variation. Wondering if anybody out there loves and keeps this one?

That looks like two on the same inflorescence to me. The open flower has what appears to be the ovary coming from the fan. I’d say the stem is just very short and didn’t appear until the second bud extended enough from the crown of the fan.
Either way it’s beautiful and well grown. Congratulations!

That looks like two on the same inflorescence to me. The open flower has what appears to be the ovary coming from the fan. I’d say the stem is just very short and didn’t appear until the second bud extended enough from the crown of the fan.
Either way it’s beautiful and well grown. Congratulations!
Hi Wendy and thank you for our comment. I don’t think it’s cirrwvg though...the stems are different in character and as you can see from these photos, the stems do not appear to be connected to one another as far down into the fan as I can conceivably see without tearing it apart (and I’d rather tear off my own finger than this plant). Terry Partin, who sold it to me, says this just happens sometimes and that next time it will probably be a regular flower. It’s worth noting that the stem on the larger flower is much shorter than I’m used to for this species, which Terry says I also a fluke and should correct for the next flowering. Part of me doesn’t care at all, it’s like this specimen knows it’s my favorite and is giving me a special show. Win win, all around! But I’ll be looking forward to the second flower’s opening...I hope the first last’s long enough to photograph both together. I’ll keep you posted and many thanks again!

Hi Wendy and thank you for our comment. I don’t think it’s correct though...the stems are different in character and as you can see from these photos, the stems do not appear to be connected to one another as far down into the fan as I can conceivably see without tearing it apart (and I’d rather tear off my own finger than harm this plant). Terry Partin, who sold it to me, says this just happens sometimes and that next time it will probably be a regular flower. It’s worth noting that the stem on the larger flower is much shorter than I’m used to for this species, which Terry says I also a fluke and should correct for the next flowering. Part of me doesn’t care at all, it’s like this specimen knows it’s my favorite and is giving me a special show. Win win, all around! But I’ll be looking forward to the second flower’s opening...I hope the first last’s long enough to photograph both together. I’ll keep you posted and many thanks again!

Attachments

• 67E0E14A-0848-440F-B800-3C7E0EF2EE7C.jpeg
    67E0E14A-0848-440F-B800-3C7E0EF2EE7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 1FF7DCAF-35FD-4B37-8F54-03B3EAF203C2.jpeg
    1FF7DCAF-35FD-4B37-8F54-03B3EAF203C2.jpeg
    953 KB · Views: 11
  • E8D52B74-0981-40F1-B8D5-F6CC9F5FCEE2.jpeg
    E8D52B74-0981-40F1-B8D5-F6CC9F5FCEE2.jpeg
    593.6 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for the second photos. To me, the ‘stem’ on the first flower is the ovary and that should be connected to the real stem below the crown of the plant. If you were able to see it (no I wouldn’t damage that beautiful plant to see either), the ovary would connect to the real stem further down. The second bud and extension of the stem were able to grow free of the leaves.

You may be right but I have seen this before and it gives the false illusion of two inflorescence. It’s well grown and happy though so my opinion doesn’t matter.

for me a nice species , too, very lovely , well grown !

I got mine from China, blommed some time ago, long lasting.P.purpuratum (2).JPG

for me a nice species , too, very lovely , well grown !

I got mine from China, blommed some time ago, long lasting.View attachment 15308
I love yours. Very wild-type, amazing color. I have noticed that a lot of specimens have that quizzical tilt to the flower. So happy to see others who love this species too. Please keep the photos coming!

Thank you for the second photos. To me, the ‘stem’ on the first flower is the ovary and that should be connected to the real stem below the crown of the plant. If you were able to see it (no I wouldn’t damage that beautiful plant to see either), the ovary would connect to the real stem further down. The second bud and extension of the stem were able to grow free of the leaves.

You may be right but I have seen this before and it gives the false illusion of two inflorescence. It’s well grown and happy though so my opinion doesn’t matter.

I will defer to your expertise, I wish I could see just a little further down into the fan but it doesn’t matter, it’s exciting and I hope it continues to happen, however it happens.

Hi BrucherT, I like purpuratum very much, not only because of its nice and colourful flowers but also because of its interesting foliage. And yours has a very intense motteled foliage, well grown.
Mine flowered several times, but never have I seen two spikes at the same time from the same fan. Never had imagine this could happen.
Here is the foto of mine, when I showed it for the last time here in ST
03240_17.09.24_paphi purpuratum.jpg

Last edited:
Hi BrucherT, I like purpuratum very much, not only because of its nice and colourful flowers but also because of its interesting foliage. And yours has a very intense motteled foliage, well grown.
Mine flowered several times, but never have I seen two spikes at the same time from the same fan. Never had imagine this could happen.
Here is the foto of mine, when I showed it for the last time here in ST
03240_17.09.24_paphi purpuratum.jpg
Gorgeous! Great meeting others who love this species. And seeing the variation. IF I had my way, I’d probably have 50 of this species lol.

Lovely. I do like this species. I dod have a nice clone that flowered a few times but sadly it is longer with us.

I agree with Wendy that it is more likely that the 2nd flower is attached to the same spike below the crown. Hard to prove though.

Lovely. I do like this species. I dod have a nice clone that flowered a few times but sadly it is longer with us.

I agree with Wendy that it is more likely that the 2nd flower is attached to the same spike below the crown. Hard to prove though.
She’s probably right, and has more experience than I, so I defer to her.

Latest posts

Back