Paphiopedilum primulinum and its varieties

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramadayapati

Reaction score
These four wild specimens collected from Mt. Leuser (normal), Rantauprapat and Tebing Tinggi regency (var. purpurascens), Sumatra, Indonesia over than 20 years ago. We can see the color gradation between them, from pure albinism, intermediate, and pigmented. I'm tended to make some sibling cross between them to see some genomes dominance and also selfing cross on conservation purpose. Dont think if there's anybody doing that for the past 15 years. People still demanding wild collected plant rather cultivated one, its cheaper thou, and its not that easy to change people's perspective and increase their conservation awareness... :(

10367737_10152181339348843_8792167592021785318_n.jpg

Enjoy :smitten:

Very nice variation. Outcrosses would be interesting, but I love the idea of having primulinum seedlings with documented places of origin. I'm surprised how widespread this species is/was.

Thanks for the photos! I agree with Carsten. It's ok if you want to make the hybrids among populations, but it would be nice to have lineages which represent the geographic populations (i.e. respect the origin, and cross only within the populations). Unfortunately, most orchids in the US and Europe are former (without known origin).

Do you know if there are lots of variation within populations, too?

BTW, sib-cross means crossing among siblings (brothers and sisters), so they share at least one parent. You are doing out-crossing or inter-populational cross.

I've never been a friend of cochlos, but I really love to see these varieties! Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos! I agree with Carsten. It's ok if you want to make the hybrids among populations, but it would be nice to have lineages which represent the geographic populations (i.e. respect the origin, and cross only within the populations). Unfortunately, most orchids in the US and Europe are former (without known origin).

Do you know if there are lots of variation within populations, too?

BTW, sib-cross means crossing among siblings (brothers and sisters), so they share at least one parent. You are doing out-crossing or inter-populational cross.

Ah thanks for the correction! You are right, its called intraspecific hybrid.
I've several seedling from selfing and sib-cross (from the same batch) already but just recently thinking to make an outcrossing between them.

I've documenting their origin for conservation purpose, because we cannot re-established them with different locality. Some of them are used with saline water which came from sea wave's splash, and some other came from a bit higher altitude with a lot of leaf litters and very shady area. There was one case with Vanda tricolor, native from Java and Bali. After the Mt. Merapi eruption in Jogjakarta (central of the Island) several years back, some people trying to reintroduce the species back to their natural habitat but they were using different specimen and apparently different variety as well from West Java which came from higher altitude, higher rainfall and different sun level also of course different host.

Anyway thanks for the comments, i'll keep u guys updated with the conservation progress,
Cheers ;)

I prefer the two on the left, by far. Primulinum is a nice species. They are (to my knowledge) all or mostly all compact growers that fit under lights pretty nicely. More importantly, many/most/all of them are fragrant, which is the coolest thing about them. The scent is fairly strong for a slipper and reminds me of fermentation -- like beer or sourdough bread with sweeter almost floral notes.

It is educational to see the gradation between the two more widely known types. In the USA the only types I have ever seen are the var purpurescens and the nominal albino form. Seeing the 2 different intergrades between, is good to see and discounts those who wanted to call primulinum var purpurescens a different species. This is an important collection you have. Thank you for sharing. I applaud your effort to help with re-introducing them back into their original habitats for restoration. I also agree that for growing in the home we should only be buying seed raised plants.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back