Paphiopedilum praestans 2014-09-12

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very lovely, but how sure are you of the ID? I suspect a stoneii influence. Dorsal attitude, pouch shape as well as its colour distribution within on the whole flower. But having said that it is very appealing in tone, balance and presentation.

Very lovely, but how sure are you of the ID? I suspect a stoneii influence. Dorsal attitude, pouch shape as well as its colour distribution within on the whole flower. But having said that it is very appealing in tone, balance and presentation.

I got it from iweyshen so I am not sure. They are so variable in color and form. It does remind me of my stonei but much more compact.

Thanks for the comments!

It's a fine species, though. It may not be the flashiest of the multies, but it scores high on all the marks. And most importantly, the praestans/gardneri/glanduliferum complex tends to result in very solid, easy to grow and bloom hybrids.

I think it is straight praestans. No stonei influence. Some collected praestans have rather hooded dorsals and I recently saw a photo of one from Indonesia with a reddish cast on the pouch as well.

I think it is straight praestans. No stonei influence. Some collected praestans have rather hooded dorsals and I recently saw a photo of one from Indonesia with a reddish cast on the pouch as well.

I agree. It is a very variable species and this seems to fit within the general range. It is a stunning flower with chunky segments. Love the yellow background.

Back