Paphiopedilum platyphyllum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandacee

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum platyphyllum
Acquired 10 years ago as a young plant at La Cour des Orchidées (French producer) ... first flowering.

platyphyllum1.jpg

platyphyllum2.jpg

platyphyllum3.jpg

platyphyllum4.jpg

platyphyllum5.jpg

Great, that staminode with its exraterrestrial hairy look is fascinating!
What leavespan has the plant?
SlipperKing, what are 5 years when dealing with paphs...

Great, that staminode with its exraterrestrial hairy look is fascinating!
What leavespan has the plant?
SlipperKing, what are 5 years when dealing with paphs...

The pot measures 14 cm in diameter
The leaves 30 cm long and 8 cm wide

I have this as well its so slow had it 4/5yrs now and its done nothing lol. Hoping the small green numb forming is a new growth.
Your is lovely

Nice first time ! Excellent primary hybrid! Would like to see more striping in dorsal.
very rare.
excuse me firstly - looks like the unfortunate love child of stonei and kolopakingii

I sent an email and the photos for identification to William Cavestro.
Here is the answer:
"It's a very beautiful Paphio. That I don't have. Congratulations for the flowering and the photos.
At the taxonomic level, this Paphio poses many problems. Some taxonomists recognize it as a species. Others like Koopowitz as a hybrid between P. stonei and P. kolopakingii.
It was found in Sarawak but only one population is known. According to Koopowitz, it may be easier to recognize it as a variety of P. kolopakingii. Cribb believes that P. platyphyllum would not be a hybrid between P. stonei and P. kolopakingii because it does not grow in the same area as these 2 species.

Conclusion: this Paphio is still an enigma! Yours is probably a P. platyphyllum or a variety of P. kolopakingii... In any case, it is very beautiful and that is probably the main thing.

Latest posts

Back