Paphiopedilum philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I got interested in Paphiopedilum about 18 years ago because of this species.

Interesting that you mentioned that because Paph. philippinense is the species that also got me interested in Paphs about 20 years ago. I remember there was a photo of this species in one of those cheap paperback orchid books that were being sold in hardware chains at the time. As I was flipping through I was captivated by the bright yellow lip and long, pendant burgundy petals.

Granted, I've not managed to acquire a clone with a bright lip and pendant petals, but I've got a hybrid (Crouching Tiger) that's close enough to make up for it.

Anyway, lovely plant and flowers. I guess we're slipper siblings, having had our desire born of the same species.

Thanks for sharing. Here's the one I got. 202a67140401f26d21632e72d3cbe27b.jpg

PS. Eric, nice to see a fellow lunatic, succumbed to orchid craze much in the same manner as yours truly (or maybe just 2% worse). Would it be possible with a 360 degrees photographic documentation of your home and the orchids within or entangled in it?! :D :D

Most kind regards,
Jens

Interesting that you mentioned that because Paph. philippinense is the species that also got me interested in Paphs about 20 years ago. I remember there was a photo of this species in one of those cheap paperback orchid books that were being sold in hardware chains at the time. As I was flipping through I was captivated by the bright yellow lip and long, pendant burgundy petals.

Cool, I was in central NC (Durham) around that time, too! I was attracted to the long, twisty petals, which I couldn't believe that it was a natural creation. Growing up with mostly Cymbidium and some Cattleya, they looked very different. I managed to get P. philippinense from AnTec, but it didn't flower. Around that time, P. sanderianum was still difficult to get (and expensive). I managed to get a super small one (<2" leaf span) for $65 from Dragon Agro, but it didn't last long. I was fresh out of a grad school, so it was a very expensive loss.

Latest posts

Back