Paphiopedilum philippinense variation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickp

Reaction score
(Assuming attachment works) here are two Paph philippinense currently blooming in my collection. I got the tall one from the Orchid Trail last year. No parentage information, but it seems fairly typical of the long-petaled forms that are common in cultivation. The smaller is one of two dwarf clones that I got from Taylor Orchids 23 years ago. It usually has two flowers per inflorescence, sometimes three, and is roughly the same size as my P. wilhelminae. Probably an old collected clone, I think.

I'm amazed by the variability in this species.

Attachments

• Paph-philippinense-pair_resized.jpg
    Paph-philippinense-pair_resized.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 51
Hi Nick, there are about 3 forms of philippinense that I know of (plus maybe an even mini album one from Sam):

1. laevigatum = the small dwarf one with 2-3 flowers, petals more horizontal (up to 4-5 inches). Plants clump easily.

2. roebelinii = medium to large plants with tall spikes of 4-7 flowers with long dangling twisting red petals up to 10 inches!

3. philippinense normal type = medium small plants with 4-5 flowers with petals about 4 inches that are held about 45 degrees angle

There may be more ecological types, as the one found in Sabah on Borneo bear minor differences like shorter petals and lighter green leaves.

Latest posts

Back