Paphiopedilum philippinense var. roebelinii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautifully grown, and amazing flower count! I especially like the wide petals. Was it grown under lights or in a greenhouse? My poor Philly is recovering from a severe case of sunburn, apparently you can give them too much light….on the plus side, the stress triggered the initiation of multiple leads.

Beautifully grown, and amazing flower count! I especially like the wide petals. Was it grown under lights or in a greenhouse? My poor Philly is recovering from a severe case of sunburn, apparently you can give them too much light….on the plus side, the stress triggered the initiation of multiple leads.
It was grown in my greenhouse under a 50% shadecloth.

This picture is also a comparison between both. They are blooming now.
Thanks for this Incharm. Can you confirm which one is which in this photo with the flowers? Are the larger 2 plants on the left with the broader longer leaves roebelinii? The smaller ones on the right with the thinner leaves and the smaller flowers the “normal” philippinense? The earlier post seems to have it the other way around.

Thanks for this Incharm. Can you confirm which one is which in this photo with the flowers? Are the larger 2 plants on the left with the broader longer leaves roebelinii? The smaller ones on the right with the thinner leaves and the smaller flowers the “normal” philippinense? The earlier post seems to have it the other way around.
The right side two, smaller and thinner leaves, are roebelinii. Both are wild collections.
The left side two, larger and broader leaves, are normal philippinense. Both are seedlings.

The right side two, smaller and thinner leaves, are roebelinii. Both are wild collections.
The left side two, larger and broader leaves, are normal philippinense. Both are seedlings.
This is helpful discussion. I thought var roebelinii is supposed to have the the larger flowers and longer twisrted petals compared to regular philippinense. In this case, it seems that smaller plants on the right with the smaller flowers are roebelinii?

Attachments

• 710CA5C7-CECA-4A5E-B1F9-268E1FBA9AF1.jpeg
    710CA5C7-CECA-4A5E-B1F9-268E1FBA9AF1.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 5
I thought var roebelinii is supposed to have the the larger flowers and longer twisrted petals compared to regular philippinense. In this case, it seems that smaller plants on the right with the smaller flowers are roebelinii?
In your attached picture, already stated, roebelinii is smaller than philippinense, in all aspects.
In fact, the leaves length of roebelinii can be as longer as philippinense, when it is well grown, just thiner in leaves broader. The most easy of separating point is substance. roebelinii is hardy leave, while philippinense is more soft, when compared both.

Back