Paphiopedilum philippinense var. roebelinii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, this is a strong and well grown plant with 2 flower spikes at the same time. Congrats to the grower. 👍
Not sure whether it is a common Paph. philippinense or var. roebbellenii. I read in the new book of Olaf regarding this and he wrote of 3 taxonomist (Reichenbach, Cribb and Braem) and each of them mentioned different characteristics. According to Reichenbach var. roebellenii shouldn't have green veins/markings on the staminode and the growth should be smaller and the flower spike more pubescent. Bream mentioned the more twisted petals. In the end I'm not experienced enough to say which is which !

Last edited:
Leslie, this is a strong and well grown plant with 2 flower spike at the same time. Congrats to the grower. 👍
Not sure whether it is a common Paph. philippinense or var. roebbellenii. I read in the new book of Olaf regarding this and he wrote of 3 taxonomist (Reichenbach, Cribb and Braem) and each of them mentioned different characteristics. According to Reichenbach var. roebellenii shouldn't have green veins/markings on the stamonode and the growth should be smaller and the flower spike more pubescent. Bream mentioned the more twisted petals. In the end I'm not experienced enough to say which is which !
I think everyone will differ in their opinions and that the traits attributed to each varietal type are on a continuum. As a result, most often in judging they just judge it against the one with the closest color first, then form and phenotype.

According to the picture, from the shape of the plant and the leaves, I think it is a normal philippinense, not var. roebelinii. I have a few wild clone of roebelinii. The leaves of roebelinii is more thin in width and harder in substance.
The picture is a comparison of plant shape between both of them. Right side one is normal philippinense and the left side one is roebelinii.

Attachments

• 20220408_115801.JPG
    20220408_115801.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 42
According to the picture, from the shape of the plant and the leaves, I think it is a normal philippinense, not var. roebelinii. I have a few wild clone of roebelinii. The leaves of roebelinii is more thin in width and harder in substance.
The picture is a comparison of plant shape between both of them. Right side one is normal philippinense and the left side one is roebelinii.
Thanks for the comparison.

I do have roebelinii like that with tall spikes. I can’t seem to bloom them for a couple years now despite bright light and warm temperatures. I just have to keep waiting.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments, I really appreciate them. Thanks also to Leslie for convincing me to submit the plant for judging. It's going to be a long anxious week waiting for the results.

Latest posts

Back