Paphiopedilum philippinense var aureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very compact! Like dianthum I’ve only seen 2 flowers per stem, but that could also be cultural as I am a windowsill grower. The max leaf span is 15” and it’s been in a 3.5” pot for several years.

I’ve been told these are tricky, even in the greenhouse. I brought one home and almost killed it before it finished blooming on a windowsill. I think overwatering... It was in Orchiata 4” aircone. The seller told me to water once a week. Things don’t dry as quickly in my home. For over a year it’s been in a controlled environment grow room under lights. Looks awful (leaves sort of chartreuse) and hasn’t grown any new shoots. I popped it out of pot and it had one good root, so it’s now in a 2.5” pot (aircone/Orchiata) and still just sitting there after 8 weeks. Any suggestions. It was a $100 Plant, hate to lose it. It had 4 flowers on one fan when I bought it.

I’d say this is the most robust plant in my small collection. And like Troy it dries out between waterings. It’s planted in Paph and Phrag Imperial Orchid mix from Repotme. I add some small charcoal, perlite, and tiny granite chips to the mix.
It is in an east facing window and I do not use supplemental lighting. I only use distilled water when watering or feeding. I only have a few plants so I can get away with this water source. Hope this is helpful...

I’d say this is the most robust plant in my small collection. And like Troy it dries out between waterings. It’s planted in Paph and Phrag Imperial Orchid mix from Repotme. I add some small charcoal, perlite, and tiny granite chips to the mix.
It is in an east facing window and I do not use supplemental lighting. I only use distilled water when watering or feeding. I only have a few plants so I can get away with this water source. Hope this is helpful...
Thanks, I strongly suspected overwatering was an issue but this tells me it’s not also low light. Very helpful.

Latest posts

Back