Paphiopedilum philippinense roebelinii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally a spike and guess what I did?!!? I broke off the second flower moving it to take pics.

Silly me… I swore so much lol.

Anyways I clamped it back on to take the pics. Poor thing.

Petals 10 cm only… looking for 15-20 cm lol.

Dark markings and petals though.

Plant looks dehydrated in its journey to flower. Might cut off spike in a few days to let plant recover.

2C4E18B8-481B-4FCA-832D-B4EFDB7A30C5.jpeg D4CC3498-2C58-442D-98F0-C6BD44041B14.jpeg AF09EB81-A363-4648-A2DD-60275BAC0FDB.jpeg 9D660B31-DB33-4223-89BD-87F30D3875DA.jpeg

NEslipper

Reaction score
First off, some congratulations are in order, you can no longer say that you’ve never flowered this species! It’s always a great feeling to flower something for the first time! Congratulations!

The dark petals are stunning, hopefully they’ll lengthen some more over the next few days. Hillsview posted some photos a while back of a similarly colored clone. The overall shape also looked similar, perhaps they are related. What’s the parentage?

I’m pretty sure I have a 100% track record of dropping all my most highly anticipated plants while setting them up for their glamour shots. Somehow everything I’m less excited about survives unscathed…

DrLeslieEe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

Yes it is a victory to finally flower this species. The second only to lowii for MFs. Now to get both roths and sandies to bud! Caveat: I swear MF species hate me. They whisper a conspiracy behind my back and taunt me with bright luscious growths that just grows and grows.

Oh, and …. Moving plants should come with a reminder (or rather a stern warning):

‘Move at your own risk’ or
‘Flowers will decapitate if moved!’ 😂

As for provenance of plant, it came from Orchid Inn with a tag that I lost in transit. The very black petals may be linked to the one you saw. They are not that common I take it? I’ll check the petal lengths in the non-decapitated flowers in the weekend and see their final lengths.

gego

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats for making it bloom with artificial lights. My experience is that LED, full spectrum, still could not make MFs to flower it's full potential if they flower at all. The growth is also very different. Natural light is still the best even if it is filtered down low. Strap Vandas do not like AL at all. Interestingly, Catts seems to adjust to it.

DrLeslieEe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats for making it bloom with artificial lights. My experience is that LED, full spectrum, still could not make MFs to flower it's full potential if they flower at all. The growth is also very different. Natural light is still the best even if it is filtered down low. Strap Vandas do not like AL at all. Interestingly, Catts seems to adjust to it.
I did put some where some South window light do touch them for few hours. But still no difference. Maybe need full sun lol.

Latest posts