Paphiopedilum philippinense new growth question

Discussion in 'Paphiopedilum' started by BrucherT, Sep 22, 2019.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Sep 22, 2019 #1

BrucherT

BrucherT

BrucherT

ST Supporter ST Supporter

Hi again. I posted this plant before, it’s an OZ refugee that I got very cheap, it had thrip damage, no live roots, had the postbloom growth and one tender shoot (which promptly succumbed to a white rot, as did one, two, three of the postbloom growth leaves)...but one leaf did survive and I kept hoping...then at last, after 9 months, a nub oc growth! And here is that nub a couple months later. I don’t understand what caused the browning in an otherwise happy-appearing growth and would love to avoid it in the they’re. Nothing else in that wardian case thing has browned or burned. There was some paling-out among other plants in June that I attributed to sun stuff so I did move them around and it promptly reversed, but my understanding of P. philippinense is that it’s a high-light plant anyway. The one mature remaining leaf is succulent like an agave! Blows my mind. Not confident at all with these multiflorals. Advice appreciated. This one is in a Wardisn case with an open top in a southeast window in my Chicago apartment. Thank you all.

Attached Files:

2. Sep 23, 2019 #2

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

cut the brown bit off immediately before it all dies.

3. Sep 23, 2019 #3

musa

musa

musa

I'd do the same. I'd cut away the old growth, it's last leaf has rot at the base and don't seem to be useful anyway.
    Good luck, a new leaf is on the way!

4. Sep 23, 2019 #4

Guldal

Guldal

Guldal

Hear, hear! And wish for the best, and hope for the worst!

5. Sep 27, 2019 #5

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

Dragon's blood.

6. Sep 27, 2019 #6

GuRu

GuRu

GuRu

experienced greenhorn

This doesn't really look good and in my eyes from what I can see in the photos it's a fungal infection, rot at the leaf base caused by Fusarium or Pythium and Phytophthora rot. Here is a link where you can read more about orchid desases and your problem in particular. Languages are German and English.
    https://www.hark-orchideen.de/Pflanzenschutz/uebersicht.php?lang=en&navID=99
    The link shows the overview page. Have a look at Fusarium and Pythium and Phytophthora rot.
    Cut away all rotten parts of the leafs and isolate the plant. Eric mentioned dragonblood as a 'medicin' another one is cinnamon powder. Cinnamon is antifungal. Make a paste of cinnamon powder and destillated water with a drop of dishwashing detergent and apply it on all affected parts of the plant. No guaranty it will survive but some did in my collection. Good luck.