Paphiopedilum parishii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioQ

Reaction score
It entered the collection in March 2021. I thought it would be a difficult plant. A very easy one!

Attachments

• AE06EBB1-6EC9-4E2B-BBB5-C16434B5AF52.jpeg
    AE06EBB1-6EC9-4E2B-BBB5-C16434B5AF52.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 3
  • D895B752-2437-4AB9-9E35-46B212C8CB2A.jpeg
    D895B752-2437-4AB9-9E35-46B212C8CB2A.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 239B2548-0B29-4DDF-97F2-85BFAC626A76.jpeg
    239B2548-0B29-4DDF-97F2-85BFAC626A76.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 60F1F78A-72E2-49F4-842D-3E23E54C17D6.jpeg
    60F1F78A-72E2-49F4-842D-3E23E54C17D6.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 8D32A693-FD27-4FC2-BF93-4350C63FD45F.jpeg
    8D32A693-FD27-4FC2-BF93-4350C63FD45F.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful, Mario!

Can you please describe your culture for this plant?

Oh, indeed.

I must clarify that what helps is the climate and water of Xalapa. It is a temperate and humid zone. I grow it outside in the garden, watering almost daily, it receive direct sun from 2 to 4 in the afternoon (yes, it is contradictory, but my outdoor paphios are aligned to a wall that receives afternoon light) and I fertilize every two waterings. It grows in a plastic pot with bark and pumice. From May to October there are frequent rainings and the ambiance is good for any kind of orchid or plant. Xalapa is a paradise and it called "The city of flowers" Humboldt quotes it on his travels.

Oh, indeed.

I must clarify that what helps is the climate and water of Xalapa. It is a temperate and humid zone. I grow it outside in the garden, watering almost daily, it receive direct sun from 2 to 4 in the afternoon (yes, it is contradictory, but my outdoor paphios are aligned to a wall that receives afternoon light) and I fertilize every two waterings. It grows in a plastic pot with bark and pumice. From May to October there are frequent rainings and the ambiance is good for any kind of orchid or plant. Xalapa is a paradise and it called "The city of flowers" Humboldt quotes it on his travels.
It sounds like a cool place to live, almost like Madeira, the portuguese Island in the Atlantic ocean, that has subtropical climate, this is a paradise for growing Orchids with its mild climate All Year round, especially for slipper Orchids, the species Paphiopedilum insigne is growing everywhere in both large pots and beds in gardens All around, and Sobralias also in large beds in gardens and Stanhopea too, and the large flowered cymbidium types are growed outside for cut flower use for tourists, this Island is almost a small European Hawaii so I understand that you love loving in a similar place, and this parishii is very nice and well grown...Congrats😇👌

Oh, indeed.

This is a view from Madeira 😇

Attachments

• Madeira-smuk-natur.jpg
    Madeira-smuk-natur.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Oh, indeed.

Another view from beautyful Madeira 😇

Attachments

• hiking-along-levada-best-things-to-do-for-nature-lovers-in-madeira.jpg
    hiking-along-levada-best-things-to-do-for-nature-lovers-in-madeira.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1
Mario, WOW very lovely ones. 👌 Had a look at Xalapa in Wikipedia and its climate diagrams...and yes, the climate seems very appropriate to grow orchids in the open all year and ..... also to live there.

It sounds like a cool place to live, almost like Madeira, the portuguese Island in the Atlantic ocean, that has subtropical climate, this is a paradise for growing Orchids with its mild climate All Year round, especially for slipper Orchids, the species Paphiopedilum insigne is growing everywhere in both large pots and beds in gardens All around, and Sobralias also in large beds in gardens and Stanhopea too, and the large flowered cymbidium types are growed outside for cut flower use for tourists, this Island is almost a small European Hawaii so I understand that you love loving in a similar place, and this parishii is very nice and well grown...Congrats😇👌

I love Madeira! Thanks for the pics! I visited Madeira years ago… Yes, a great place for plants and flowers. I remember Jardim Orquidea, I knew it had a fire. What a pity! And by the way now I realize that in Xalapa as in Madeira, there are some common orchids growing in gardens: very frequently the primary hybrid Paphiopedilum nitens, which besides Dendrobium nobile many people thinks they are Mexican species. Sobralias! Indeeeeed, I think the best Sobralias that I have seen, they are growing since many decades ago in the interior gardens of old houses in Xalapa, Coatepec, Xico, Huatusco, Orizaba and Córdoba. I have seen albas and coeruleas with good shape and size! And cymbidiums too, but old hybrids, anyway they grow very well. It is very common to see Catasetum integerrinum, Oncidium sphacelatum and Laelia anceps growing on the trees of the city, even in the main square. And remember Stanhopeas are from this area! Now we have flowering oculata and tigrina. Years ago walking on the street I saw a Stanhopea tigrina like a belt around a tree, with more than 30 flowers at the same time… How I found it? By the smelling… I followed the fragrance (I thought: “Near there is an Stanhopea!”) and I get amazed in front of a beautiful garden in Xalapa downtown.

Mario, WOW very lovely ones. 👌 Had a look at Xalapa in Wikipedia and its climate diagrams...and yes, the climate seems very appropriate to grow orchids in the open all year and ..... also to live there.

Thank you. Yes, what I love about Xalapa is the climate. And It has many cultural events. It is called too "La Atenas Veracruzana" (The Veracruz's Athens)

Latest posts

Back