Paphiopedilum parishii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
This one is from Thailand, since it came from a importer from there. No twists in the petals of on my plant, which is so strange for the species :confused: . It bloomed in October, but I haven't been on this forum for so long to share...

Very nice Fren...you sure it is pure parishii?

I wish I could give you an answer with certainty. She was a vendor who just brought lots of bare root plants, that were probably grown outdoors in Thailand. I don't know if it was a division of a wild plant either.

I can't be the only person in my city with one, she had a large group, all of which looks like divisions of the same specimen. Except, I haven't seen anyone else with it

Colour me jealous. I like parishii but I agree that it's odd with no twist on the petals.

Might consider looking at some other posts, but I think parrishii should have hairyer stems. The flower looks a tad between dianthum and parrishii.

Dianthum was considered a variety of parrishii for many years, so it (might??) be a hybrid of the two. But check some of Matt Gores old posts.

i think its probably a parishii given the flower count, color saturation sepals etc...the stem looks normal i have bloomed parishii with practically bald stems..you just seem to have a parishii that doesnt twist..i bloomed a parishii that consistently bloomed a kink in its left petals..some genetic fluke..i think that's probably whats going on here but the twisting genes have been completely turned off somehow

Parishii is quite a variable species. A bit like villosum I guess. I have seen some pretty unusual forms over the years. This is just another.

I'm incline to call it parishii as well but keep in mind the wide range this species and its cousin dianthum cover. No clear cut line dividing the two in their range. I'm sure there will be inter-grades popping up.

Welcome back Fren!

Thanks guys for the advice :) and I am glad to check out the forum again , I am missing it!

While I am in no state to be a taxonomist, I am thinking the different shape of the petals isn't enough to say that it isn't parishii, since the colours look right (and if it could be a division of a wild plant). Maybe just another variant, kind of like how there are so many forms of malipoense and lowii?

The leaves also seem in line with what look like parishii/dianthum based on online photos. Are there big differences in the morphology of the leaves?

Are there big differences in the morphology of the leaves?

When a parishii is growing well, its a monster in comparison to a standard dianthum.

But I think its easy to stunt parrishii too. So its hard to use size as a definitive means of separating them.:eek:

Otherwise the folliage is basically the same.

Did you check out some of MG's old threads? I think he still has his Gore Conservancy site up with more pics yet.

That would be interesting if this was a natural inter-grade of the two species.
But who knows. I bought a "parishii" from oak hill many years ago, and when it bloomed out, it was a very typey dianthum. Who knows if that mistake was carried into breeding programs back in the late 90's early 2000's.

But this plant is very pretty with a good flower count? Petal twisting can be variable on the same plant over successive years, so I really wasn't paying much attention to this trait.

I think my plant was not grown particularly well to compared to many growers here be honest, and the leaves are not as long as the others online. However the leaf morphology is consistent with the species based on photos, either it is genetically shorter leaved, or culture could be improved.

Flower (and quality) could probably could be improved when the plant gets bigger. I don't remember clearly, I think it had four blooms. Not bad though for a first blooming on 2 growths I think.

Back