Paphiopedilum parishii culture advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice if the temperature chart have data of light intensity and humdity and precipitation. That would give us more information on how to grow it.

I have the complete data from the Paph species book by Braems, Baker and Baker. Attached is the information from the book. Usually, these books are very good if you follow as closely as possible. However, since Paph parishii is difficult to grow, I just want to hear from growers who have personal experience and also some pointers (such as the smallest pot possible which is not common for Paph) not written in the book.

1634149275952.png

1634149289038.png

thanks...it is very similar to the Paph book I have (day time high temp) and the rainfal amount. For this species, in the winter time the temp in the night is cool/cold (with a huge diurnal difference, 15C), I think that's the challenge for me, will see if I can grow with my spring blooming Dendrobium species that require the cool winter rest.
night temperatures there 20C in January
here in the north 5-10 degrees lower

I can only second the correct info given by other members. Small pot, a draining compost,
12/15*C night temp. with higher day temp.(20/22*C).In my pots I used to place polistirene chips for extra drainage.
Regarding light requirement I notice that when given same cattleya light the leaves are more yellow but you get good blooming.
I grow in a GH so have not house experience, but a small pc fan that keeps the air moving Is certainly a 'very good friend'.
For me dianthum Is not an easier one just has more vigor and tolerates higher light levels. Have one in the south- west corner of the GH that has enjoyed all summer long almost full afternoon sun that bloomed with 7 spikes!!
Wish you a good growing!

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_132340571_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211201_132340571_HDR.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211201_132241004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211201_132241004_HDR.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211201_132034642.jpg
    IMG_20211201_132034642.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 19
I can only second the correct info given by other members. Small pot, a draining compost,
12/15*C night temp. with higher day temp.(20/22*C).In my pots I used to place polistirene chips for extra drainage.
Regarding light requirement I notice that when given same cattleya light the leaves are more yellow but you get good blooming.
I grow in a GH so have not house experience, but a small pc fan that keeps the air moving Is certainly a 'very good friend'.
For me dianthum Is not an easier one just has more vigor and tolerates higher light levels. Have one in the south- west corner of the GH that has enjoyed all summer long almost full afternoon sun that bloomed with 7 spikes!!
Wish you a good growing!
thank you, much is appreciated. Thank you for the confirmation about the pointers....yes, everyone I speak to and also here all said small pots (like a dendrobium).
thanks

Sam Tsui grows stunning parishii. His “Jeanie” in bloom is a sight to behold. 7 flowers. I missed a chance to get a seedling :(.

I’m curious about two things: 1) it’s listed in this book as epiphytic; am I misremembering a photo of a nice flowering group growing out of a mound of some kind of limestone karst stuff? And 2) the small pot thing…I didn’t see any smallness to Sam’s pots; maybe he was accomplishing drying with climate control?

Sam Tsui grows stunning parishii. His “Jeanie” in bloom is a sight to behold. 7 flowers. I missed a chance to get a seedling :(.

I’m curious about two things: 1) it’s listed in this book as epiphytic; am I misremembering a photo of a nice flowering group growing out of a mound of some kind of limestone karst stuff? And 2) the small pot thing…I didn’t see any smallness to Sam’s pots; maybe he was accomplishing drying with climate control?
I am reading the Paph book by Braem, Baker & Baker and here it is: It grows in the Shan Plateau Region of Burma and the mountains of neighboring western and noterhn Thailand at 4100-4500 ft (1250-1370m). It is usually found on east-facking slopes where conditions are shady and light islow. It normally grows as an epiphyte in the middle or lower branches of trees, 10-15 ft above the ground, but plants are sometimes found growing in thick moss on boulders or fern roots.

I would never buy stuff from Sam. I never had any good experience with him. I was told by our orchid inner circles here that he only provides good plants for his friends or someone he knows very well. Even some orchid vendors complained about his plants for an order more than 100 plants (very little to no roots). He brought a large Paph parishii a few years ago to Canada for me as a pre-order, and it had pretty much not roots. The plant was NBS but the leaves were soft (not hard), so I suspected that the plant had no good roots. When I unpotted the pot, on a such big plant, there were only 3 roots (2 good size roots with 1 very short size roots). I rejected the plant and didn't buy it. I care about the quality, not the price. As you know, I grow Cym. goeringii so I am very particular, detailed orientated, and picky on plants and their quality, price is not a factor for me.

I am reading the Paph book by Braem, Baker & Baker and here it is: It grows in the Shan Plateau Region of Burma and the mountains of neighboring western and noterhn Thailand at 4100-4500 ft (1250-1370m). It is usually found on east-facking slopes where conditions are shady and light islow. It normally grows as an epiphyte in the middle or lower branches of trees, 10-15 ft above the ground, but plants are sometimes found growing in thick moss on boulders or fern roots.

I would never buy stuff from Sam. I never had any good experience with him. I was told by our orchid inner circles here that he only provides good plants for his friends or someone he knows very well. Even some orchid vendors complained about his plants for an order more than 100 plants (very little to no roots). He brought a large Paph parishii a few years ago to Canada for me as a pre-order, and it had pretty much not roots. The plant was NBS but the leaves were soft (not hard), so I suspected that the plant had no good roots. When I unpotted the pot, on a such big plant, there were only 3 roots (2 good size roots with 1 very short size roots). I rejected the plant and didn't buy it. I care about the quality, not the price. As you know, I grow Cym. goeringii so I am very particular, detailed orientated, and picky on plants and their quality, price is not a factor for me.

Did you ask Sam why they had little to no roots?

Sam did mention many years ago that he had trouble growing his plants in Orchidata.

When I pointed it out, he insisted that the plant was fine. Does he think that I am stupid or what? This is not my first orchid.

I do not care if Sam had problems with his growing conditions, as a customer, all I care about is if the plant is healthy or not (roots or no roots). But when a customer unpotted the plant and pointed out the conditions of the plant, he insisted that the plant was fine (to me, that was lying in a plain sight)....this is not first orchid and not first experience. Since he could not bring the plant back into the US, he gave the plant to a collector I know in Toronto for free. The collector told me that the Paph parishii that Sam offered me was in a rough condition. On the otherhand, all the Paph parishii that this collector received from Sam were in good to very good conditions (little bit smaller than the one Sam offered me in terms of the leaf span). The plant that Sam offered me was the biggest and according Sam, the biggest plant was the best....I do not know what is his logic and if he has any conscience in selling orchids to potential customers who is aware of the quality of the plants (root health).

In this instance, if I am a good salesman, I would have said that I don't have any Paph parishii that is in good condition and I do not feel comfortable selling the plant, I would be absolutely fine with that, there is always next time, and if he said this, I would have waited and get it from him when he has good enough plants. Basic sales. I have the patience to wait for the plant, if I cannot get it today, there is always tomorrow.

I am in shock from reading these messages. I don’t know what to say. I believe you had your experience and that’s awful. This is the very first time I’ve ever heard a negative word about Sam or his plants. I’ve never had any negative issues with him or his plants; each time I’ve ordered, plants arrive perfect, healthy and worth every penny. Again, not trying to say you didn’t have a problem and I’m sorry to hear it. But I’ve also visited Orchid Inn and found it immaculate. I have walked every aisle and I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a plant in rough condition. Everything seems pristine to me. I’ve watched him repot plants himself and marvel at the deft skill. Often, when I pick something out, he wants to dump it and repot for me, so I’m seeing the roots. I have never asked him to do this, he just does it. Again, my experience. I would like to call him my friend but I don’t know what he would say… I feel treated very well by him and I’m always humbled because I’m such a small-potatoes customer compared to how he makes his real money. Point being, if I’m receiving preferential treatment, I don’t know why he would favor me. We’ve probably had ten transactions over the years. Every plant I get from him is a winner in my eyes. With regard to his P. parishii, he had quite a selection of them about two years ago and I just decided to buy something else then. But I remember they looked delicious. That’s all I know, that’s my experience. I hope someday he gets a chance to redeem himself in your eyes, somehow.

I have been reading this post for a couple days now and thought I should add some comments since I am mentioned several times here.

My success in parishii is indeed the cultural notes that JP has outlined:
1. warm in summer (up to 32C days) and cool in winter (13-15C nights)
2. heavy watering and feeding in summer and less water/feeding in winter (let dry in winter before watering)
3. smaller that normal pots (24 inched plants in 4 inch pots)
4. larger bark with medium perlite and large charcoal (for perfect drainage) mix
5. medium light (1500-1800 FC)

Many of my parishiis are from Sam (OI) and they have grown well for me. I should note that Sam has always supplied me with really good plants (maybe because I buy much from him) and rarely lose any. I have not really seen preferential treatment between me and another friend out west who buys much less than me.

I have some parishiis from Hung Sheng that grows ok but their flowers so far have not been as dark or as large as OI. Perhaps when they get larger, their potential may show.

I have been reading this post for a couple days now and thought I should add some comments since I am mentioned several times here.

My success in parishii is indeed the cultural notes that JP has outlined:
1. warm in summer (up to 32C days) and cool in winter (13-15C nights)
2. heavy watering and feeding in summer and less water/feeding in winter (let dry in winter before watering)
3. smaller that normal pots (24 inched plants in 4 inch pots)
4. larger bark with medium perlite and large charcoal (for perfect drainage) mix
5. medium light (1500-1800 FC)

Many of my parishiis are from Sam (OI) and they have grown well for me. I should note that Sam has always supplied me with really good plants (maybe because I buy much from him) and rarely lose any. I have not really seen preferential treatment between me and another friend out west who buys much less than me.

I have some parishiis from Hung Sheng that grows ok but their flowers so far have not been as dark or as large as OI. Perhaps when they get larger, their potential may show.
What is your high flower count on parishii?

Just ask Sam to ship the plants without media and tell him that the plants needs to have good root system.

I just wanted to say what you have said about Sam is completely untrue.
Any vendor can send you "bad" plants. The main concern for me is the customer service. Unlike some people who deny and lie or become outright rude, Sam will send you replacements.
I know this because a member of my society bought a few paphs from him not too long ago. A couple of his plants were in poor conditions and he informed Sam about it. He sent him replacement plants without any hesitation.
I bought a few of my first order from him last December. All great stuff mostly larger than what's indicated on his website. A couple were in bud even!
I recently bought some more plants and a flask. All are of superb quality in my opinion and I'm rather picky.

I realize that disputing and getting replacement plants may be near impossible for you since you are on the other side of the border, but I advise you to not follow rumors and gossips without solid proof.
Let him know what happened and maybe on his next trip to Canada, he might bring some sort of replacement if he has any left.
Also, just like many other vendors, he will have things that are not listed on his website.

Now back to parishii, I always shied away from this species based on what I read about its habitat info.
They tend to occur rather high elevation and, in the area, where it gets warms during the day but cools off significantly at night, especially during the winter months. I grow everything indoors so this will be extra challenging if not impossible to provide without some sort of special enclosure system.
Now, I do have a nice primary hybrid of parishii x lowii. It has been an easy one for me and the flowers look very similar to parishii.
My only complaint is that the plant is too big. It is currently my largest plant in leaf length only threatened by a roth hybrid that is on its way to become even bigger very soon!
Good luck in finding & growing your plants.

I just wanted to say what you have said about Sam is completely untrue.
Any vendor can send you "bad" plants. The main concern for me is the customer service. Unlike some people who deny and lie or become outright rude, Sam will send you replacements.
I know this because a member of my society bought a few paphs from him not too long ago. A couple of his plants were in poor conditions and he informed Sam about it. He sent him replacement plants without any hesitation.
I bought a few of my first order from him last December. All great stuff mostly larger than what's indicated on his website. A couple were in bud even!
I recently bought some more plants and a flask. All are of superb quality in my opinion and I'm rather picky.

I realize that disputing and getting replacement plants may be near impossible for you since you are on the other side of the border, but I advise you to not follow rumors and gossips without solid proof.
Let him know what happened and maybe on his next trip to Canada, he might bring some sort of replacement if he has any left.
Also, just like many other vendors, he will have things that are not listed on his website.

He told me that that was the last Paph parishii he had. Which I doubted that was the case. Usually, I am argumentative but because I didn't have a high expectation from Sam (from my past experience and other Canadian inner orchid circle friends and Canadian vendor experiences), I just insisted that I don't take the plant, so that was it. Every time when I purchase Japanese orchids (C. goeringii), I spent thousands of dollars. A $100-$150 Paph parishii is nothing to me (money wise). However, if the plant is in a bad health, even $1 is too expensive. This is how I look at this.

Well, sorry to hear about your experience, then.
And I agree with your sentiment that a plant in bad health is not worth buying.
I prefer to buy plants after seeing them myself for this reason. I have no one else to blame this way and I usually pick out the good ones.
I avoid mail ordering plants as much as possible, but it does happen every now and then, and fortunately, my experience has been mostly good.

Now back to parishii, I always shied away from this species based on what I read about its habitat info.
They tend to occur rather high elevation and, in the area, where it gets warms during the day but cools off significantly at night, especially during the winter months. I grow everything indoors so this will be extra challenging if not impossible to provide without some sort of special enclosure system.
Now, I do have a nice primary hybrid of parishii x lowii. It has been an easy one for me and the flowers look very similar to parishii.
My only complaint is that the plant is too big. It is currently my largest plant in leaf length only threatened by a roth hybrid that is on its way to become even bigger very soon!
Good luck in finding & growing your plants.

Me too as well since I grow indoor as well!

I had one many years ago and it had long, thick stiff leaves and very little roots. I gave it to my friend who grew it in his greenhouse and after a few years later he bloomed it with 9 flowers.

I do agree that hybrids are alot easier to grow! I found that parishii and randsii doesn't produce alot of roots.

I had one many years ago and it had long, thick stiff leaves and very little roots. I gave it to my friend who grew it in his greenhouse and after a few years later he bloomed it with 9 flowers.

I do agree that hybrids are alot easier to grow! I found that parishii and randsii doesn't produce alot of roots.

And if you overwater it

And if you overwater it, it will die very easily (because it has so little root to begin with).

Back