Paphiopedilum parishii culture advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
I just received 3 very healthy Paphiopedilum parishii from Paph Paradise this morning, very happy with the qualitiy. It is known to be difficult to grow because it has weak genes. This will be my 3rd attempt to grow it since I started collecting orchids over 15 years ago. Paph parishii is rarely offered by Paph vendors if you can find one. I know that another US Paph vendor has it but he attempted to sell me a NBS one with very little roots (2 roots) a few years. He brought the plant to Canada from US and I rejected the plant from this Paph vendor since the plant had very little roots.

Anyway, I had some experience with Paph parishii in the past but not very successful. From my past failures, I think it requires lower light than Paph rothschidianum, Paph philippinese? I know that in the fall and winter, it has to be grown on the dryer side. If anyone has any advise on growing it, much will be appreciated.

Thank you

1633217116033.png

Quick drying after water seems to be the (one) key. Keep them in a small pot - slightly cramped. The faster they dry out, the more you can water them and the happier they will be.

Quick drying after water seems to be the (one) key. Keep them in a small pot - slightly cramped. The faster they dry out, the more you can water them and the happier they will be.
Thank you

Good luck and do not forget the post the photos!
Thank you. I managed to keep a medium seedling alive for 2-3 years before and rotted maybe 2 years from blooming. I got some very useful tips specifically for Paph parishii from DrLeslieEe since he has a collection himself. I also got some tips from some other menbers here, much is appreciated. I hope, once I tweaked the conditions, they will be okay. Also, the 2 big plants are the biggest Paph parishii I ever purchased, so I hope they will be easier to take care.

On the website, Paph Paradise says that he doesn't do anything special. He has a greenhouse, located in California, grown besides other multiflorous paphs. I live in Toronto, Canada, can only grow outdoor in the summer time. Many people I know rotted Paph parishii (if you can find one) over the years. From my own experience before, I know that from September onwards, grow on the dryer side until the next growing cycle. I want to know what other people's experience who don't have a greenhouse and grow indoor with similar conditions I have currently. I do notice that he pots them in very small pots (for the size of the plant) considering it's a multiflurous species. So, I got confirmation from DrLeslieEe that they need to be potted in the smallest pot possible like a dendrobium (I didn't know about this fine point for example about this among other things). Another example is the light requirement. I checked the light requirement as well from the Paph book by Braems, Baker, and Baker, it only requires around 1500-2000 fc which is low for a multiflorous Paph. There are some fine points about this Paph species that are a bit different than other multiflorous Paph species such as rothschildianum and philippinense.

Last edited:
On the website, Paph Paradise says that he doesn't do anything special. He has a greenhouse, located in California, grown besides other multiflorous paphs. I live in Toronto, Canada, can only grow outdoor in the summer time. Many people I know rotted Paph parishii (if you can find one) over the years. From my own experience before, I know that from September onwards, grow on the dryer side until the next growing cycle. I want to know what other people's experience who don't have a greenhouse and grow indoor with similar conditions I have currently. I do notice that he pots them in very small pots (for the size of the plant) considering it's a multiflurous species. So, I got confirmation from DrLeslieEe that they need to be potted in the smallest pot possible like a dendrobium (I didn't know about this fine point for example about this among other things). Another example is the light requirement. I checked the light requirement as well from the Paph book by Braems, Baker, and Baker, it only requires around 1500-2000 fc which is low for a multiflorous Paph. There are some fine points about this Paph species that are a bit different than other multiflorous Paph species such as rothschildianum and philippinense.

Paph parishii likes to grow in tropical conditions during the growing season with about 1500 to 2000 fc. In the cooler season temperatures are in the intermediate to cool conditions and the plant does not like to be constantly wet during the cooler months. In winter the plant gets higher light and likes to to dry out before watering.

Paph parishii likes to grow in tropical conditions during the growing season with about 1500 to 2000 fc. In the cooler season temperatures are in the intermediate to cool conditions and the plant does not like to be constantly wet during the cooler months. In winter the plant gets higher light and likes to to dry out before watering.

Thank you for the pointers. I will grow Paph parishii with my spring blooming Dendrobiums that gets 15C every night.

I could not grow get parishii to flower so I gave it to my friend who grew it along side his Dendrobium cuthbertsonii and Phrag bessae with a minimum temperature set to 10c in a greenhouse. He put the plant higher up so it gets bright light. He flowered it may times.

I could not grow get parishii to flower so I gave it to my friend who grew it along side his Dendrobium cuthbertsonii and Phrag bessae with a minimum temperature set to 10c in a greenhouse. He put the plant higher up so it gets bright light. He flowered it may times.
Thank you. DrLeslieEe said that he has luck with it when he brings the temp down to 16C.

I grow my Cymbidium goeringii in the basement room in the winter time for like 3 months but the temp must be between 0C-10C at all times to do vernalization (in order to bloom the buds every year). I think this will be too cold for Paph parishii.

Thank you. DrLeslieEe said that he has luck with it when he brings the temp down to 16C.

I grow my Cymbidium goeringii in the basement room in the winter time for like 3 months but the temp must be between 0C-10C at all times to do vernalization (in order to bloom the buds every year). I think this will be too cold for Paph parishii.

I do agree that 0 to 10C is a bit too cool for Paph parishii. Maybe due to breeding the current generation of Paph parishii can tolerate warmer temperatures.

the light should be as for Cattleya, literature gives a wrong advice

Yep. I learned this the hard way...twice! Had 3 now have 1. Dianthum is similar too I think.
Yes, Paph dianthum's is also known as Paph parishii var. dianthum. However, I think Paph dianthum is a little bit easier than the true parishii.
I know, Paph parishii is not an easy one. I also know that many Paph parishii are wildy collected from Thailand and the wildly collected ones are even more difficult than the seed-grown ones.

Its a cool grower. A lot of people aren't awasre there is a large section of paphs which are cool growers including druryi, venustum, spicerianum, and others like parishii.

I am reading Paph parishii growing chart from the book written by Braems, Baker, and Baker. Throughout the years, the daytime high is always above 20C (in early spring and summer, it goes up to 28C-31C during the day). I don't think it's a cooler grower. However, the night time low in the winter time goes down as low as 7C. From what I understand from other people on this forum, you grow it intermediate to warm from spring to fall. In the winter, during the day, can still provide 20C-25C during the day, but in the evening, it has to be cool. I can grow them with the spring dendrobiums where the night temp goes down to 15C. Let's see if it's going to be okay. Also, for this particular species, I was also told to be grown on the dryer side and pot them into th smallest pot possible (like a dendrobium).

View attachment 30022

this is for Kanchanaburi province, a habitat in Thailand
thanks...it is very similar to the Paph book I have (day time high temp) and the rainfal amount. For this species, in the winter time the temp in the night is cool/cold (with a huge diurnal difference, 15C), I think that's the challenge for me, will see if I can grow with my spring blooming Dendrobium species that require the cool winter rest.

Latest posts

Back