Paphiopedilum parishii ‘Seven BridesMaids’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so excited to find one of my large (first bloom) parishiis in bud last month, while I was repotting during the lockdown.

It formed seven buds!! First one opened a few days ago and I’m as excited as a schoolboy with an ice cream!! Chocolate of course! Like the twisted petal colors.

I named her ‘Seven BridesMaids’ because they are bonded in a ceremonial line.

Sorry about the nonprofessional pics for now. Will take better ones when fully opened.

Warm hot wet summers and cooler slightly dryer (never dry) winters at 1000 fc. Plant is about 55 cm wide. From parishii ‘Jeannie’ AM/AOS x sib lineage.

3580C043-8341-4321-B6F7-518AD483982C.jpeg DD0685C7-35AC-4398-BFAB-236CA945E460.jpeg BC5C2CAB-C0CD-47BF-817D-FA6C86F8453D.jpeg 07D8E07C-9F8E-4F0B-A5B0-A81EA46F573F.jpeg F83E6A1A-3314-4E0D-888E-98B12F9685C6.jpeg A6C08321-778E-4539-A324-25C28BEA6F42.jpeg FDD1D8CE-5D61-4DFC-BF4F-0EF152C3F621.jpeg 8B467ECD-2F79-4E12-B44A-D4C0B036419A.jpeg

I love it - what beauty, Leslie! And deliciously well grown! I can only concur: keep us posted! :)

(Even if the sight of it also carries a bit of sorrow for this particular grower, as I killed off my own super-prima example for which I just (prematurely?) had received my one and only GM for culture. Shortly afterwards that happening, several of my plants had a horrible infestation of mealy bugs, that I discovered too late...and I, at that time, experimenting with a new way of insect control, killed my gorgeous parishii by paving the way for a hefty and quickspreading rot. This was in the days before I discovered the benefits of croton lechleri in combination with cinnamon. It all was such a traumatic experience, that it took me some while before I was ready to supplement my collection with yet another parishii :confused::()

Last edited:
Extreme nice flowers on a well grown plant. Congrats Leslie. It's also funny to read something about the choice of your clonal names. :)

Thanks all for the nice comments. This one is really special with a very dark 'milk chocolate' pouch (most awarded ones have olive green pouch, sometimes with a light brown shade). Too bad no judging anytime soon.

Thanks all for the nice comments. This one is really special with a very dark 'milk chocolate' pouch (most awarded ones have olive green pouch, sometimes with a light brown shade). Too bad no judging anytime soon.
Judging or not, I think it is awardable specimen.

Leslie....so jealous...it is so hard to find P. parishii, on top of that, it is hard and slow to grow this species. I had one P. parishii and one September, I watered it too much and it rotted. Now, I only have one for many years and it is ms at best for now and it is very slow growing.

Leslie....so jealous...it is so hard to find P. parishii, on top of that, it is hard and slow to grow this species. I had one P. parishii and one September, I watered it too much and it rotted. Now, I only have one for many years and it is ms at best for now and it is very slow growing.
Hehe thanks JP.

It is not an easy species to grow but they love one spot in my growing area (lucky for me). I also use larger bark chunks with more perlite and LECA clay pellets so that they don't stay wet too long (but watered 2-3 times a week, less in winter).

great plant !
I found out that they like more light than others. This makes them harder against too much water.
My best growing and blooming parishii is hanging less than 1 meter under the shade, can bloom more than once a year.
They should be growing on trees in my area, never seen one, dont know anybody who has !

Latest posts

Back