Paphiopedilum NOT rothschilianum Dark Red

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eds

Reaction score
Well this post is disappointing for me but might at least soften the blow to @Guldal for losing his plant from this source!

This was bought from Orchid Garden as a single fan and supposed to be as titled. I think it's clearly not dark red or even a rothschilianum - it looks like a Saint Swithin to me!

PXL_20220910_111025656.jpg
PXL_20220910_111017810.jpg

It's still a beautiful flower and any disappointment is tempered by the fact that getting any paph to flower is an event to be celebrated for me!

Beautifully grown plant and beautiful flower. It's just disappointing that you didn't get what you paid for and, I assume, had to wait a long time to find out if purchased as a single growth.

Beautifully grown plant and beautiful flower. It's just disappointing that you didn't get what you paid for and, I assume, had to wait a long time to find out if purchased as a single growth.

Thanks. I ordered the plant in May 2019 so it's taken a bit of time! This thread, Orchid Garden - vendor in Poland has some pictures of the plant when it was bought.

Sorry it’s not what you were hoping for, three years from single fan to multi-growth clump would have been an amazingly vigorous roth! Agree it’s most likely a St Swithin. I really like those pale, ghostly colors, quite different from most breeding trends which are dark dark dark!

....might at least soften the blow to @Guldal for losing his plant from this source!

it looks like a Saint Swithin to me!
Thank you for the comforting words and pics, Ed!
I think you have identified the plant correctly - the plant seems so well grown, that you for certain can be proud of your cultural skills! 🙂

As long as nurseries sell orchis as long there are mislabeled plants from time to time. I don't know any nursery which wasn't hit by this problem. :(
Anyway, your 'mislabeled' plant looks strong and healthy and the flowers of this P. Saint Swithin are more than lovely.

Thanks all for the compliments - it certainly seems to like the basket culture, even with my less than consistent watering!

Guldal, I'm glad it might have helped a bit with your loss! 🤣

Comparing it to photos of my SS I think you guys might be onto something. The laterals are twisting much more as it ages and I will post another photo when the third flower opens for you to see.

It can happen, obviously someone mixed the labels or records, I have purchased a cattleya two years ago and when it flowered, it looked completely different to the attached picture. The bigger problem arises when a particular mislabeled plant is used in further breeding and you have got cascading problem.

All three flowers are now open.
PXL_20220917_100801262.jpg

The first flower to open now looks like this,
PXL_20220917_100812323.jpg

Having a search I think it could be a Genevieve Booth (which would make a bit of sense being sold as rothschildianum if that was the pod parent) or maybe Saint Swithin x Mount Toro?

Or it could, of course, be any random complex multi hybrid!

This plant is flowering again,
PXL_20230611_134247234.jpg
PXL_20230611_134259596.jpg
PXL_20230611_134306825.jpg

As a guide to size, the dorsal is 52mm wide and each flower is about 20cm tall (natural spread isn't much due to the petal stance!)

Looks to have a stonei influence in that dorsal. But the pouch gets towards yellow enough to be pleasing to my eyes…. I’d call it serendipitous…. :)

I find this pleasing to look at. I wonder if selfing it would provide some more clues about the parentage, certainly should provide a diverse range of progeny.

I find this pleasing to look at. I wonder if selfing it would provide some more clues about the parentage, certainly should provide a diverse range of progeny.
Me too. I'd rather it was a big, dark red Roth as labelled, but this is a very good consolation!

No idea of where to get any seeds flasked over here nor do I have space or experience to grow out the plants afterwards so it's not really an option I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back