Paphiopedilum niveum + ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojtek

Reaction score
That Paph was described as a P.niveum var.ang-thong, but it certainly is not P.niveum var.ang-thong.

Maybe someone know what is that ??

Paphiopedilum%20niveum%20alba%200008.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20niveum%20alba%200012.jpg

photo:G.Siemińska

Thanks for help :)

Last edited:
well... clearly not niveum... I am not the most experienced with paphiopedilum, but (and this goes to the experts :)) could this have delenatii in its background (like being a bad Deception)? do you have a picture of the whole plant?

How funny. Quite a few people have recently shown similar flowers on others forums. All were obtained as niveum var. ang-thong and the public opinion was that they are likely to be Deception II, the hybrid between niveum and delenatii. If not a bad case of deception, someone got his flasks mislabeled.

Hi Carsten,

about mislabelled flasks... in the last time I am more and more convinced that some people are quite a mess with that here in Europe... some examples of "mislabelled flasks" I have seen in the last 5 months: these Paphis, my Paph "hangianum", Catasetum "pileatum" (actually Orchidglade), Phrag "besseae" (actually quite similar to J Fischer), C. percivaliana (actually some weird hybrid), Cycnoches "chlorochilon" & Paph. "bellatulum" (actually some other Brachy hybrid)... quite disappointing....

we do not fully know the variation of Paph. thaianum to eliminate this plant from being even a pure one. the hybrid swarms and intermediate forms of all these brachypetalums is just ridiculous. we are really rushing to judgement trying to put a "correct name" on anything when it is a large widespread group that a large part is still undergoing speciation!
what is the size of this flower? what is the size of the plant? what do the leaves look like?

LOL it looks like a hybrid between paph delenatii alba and phrag schlimii alba... LOL!!!!!! I do not suggest that it is but the shape remindes me of these 2...!

I was thinking the same thing but the timing would mean someone made a cross before the plant was discovered!:ninja:....

i've heard stories/rumors of some nurseries getting a plant years before they are 'discovered'. like i said, they're rumors so i dunno if they're true.....

may be a cross of
thaianum x niveum
nevium staminode is yellow
thaianum staminode is Green and have a dots inside the pouch

Back