Paphiopedilum Nivesque Satin ‘Silver Creek’ HCC/AOS (hirsutissimum x niveum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phred

Reaction score
I think this is a pretty cool flower. It flowers for me every year. When the grower got it awarded it had 6 flowers and 4 buds on 7 inflorescences. I’ve never been able to get more than one. The plant is always in good shape. A previously bloomed growth, a growth that’s blooming and a new mature growth. As soon as it is done blooming a new growths starts and over a few months the oldest one dies off. Still love the flower though.9F4B49FD-5A51-4644-8E36-9F5C8157D993.jpeg

Very nice flower. This hybrid shows two things:

1. It shows quite nicely both characteristics of both parents’ genetic contributions: the wide petals and white dominance of niveum, and the long petals and red pigments of the hirsutissimum.

2. It also shows the negative side of intergeneric hybrids where the breeding line stops. Since it was registered in 1995 by Joe Kunisch, no offsprings have been registered. Too bad as this could lead to larger pink flowers.

Have you tried breeding this Fred?

Joe was a great guy to visit.

I had a speaking engagement up in that neck of the woods and he invited me over - for the entire day - before the evening meeting. Broke out a bottle of wine and we sat in his fantastic greenhouse and compared notes.

The environment was superb - under-bench misting for humidity, overhead fans for air circulation, automated shade screens...

Very nice flower. This hybrid shows two things:

1. It shows quite nicely both characteristics of both parents’ genetic contributions: the wide petals and white dominance of niveum, and the long petals and red pigments of the hirsutissimum.

2. It also shows the negative side of intergeneric hybrids where the breeding line stops. Since it was registered in 1995 by Joe Kunisch, no offsprings have been registered. Too bad as this could lead to larger pink flowers.

Have you tried breeding this Fred?
Hey Leslie
No offspring doesn’t always mean a plant doesn't breed but in this case you’re probably right. I’ve bred this three times and used it’s pollen on four or five plants and all crosses failed. I guess it’s time to get rid of it.

Back