Paphiopedilum micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I flowered my very first Paph. micranthum....I've grown this plant for many years now, but only when I've kept it outside during summer and cool during winter since 2 or 3 years it has grown well. The result is the first flower in these days.

08191_22.01.15_paph micranthum.jpg

08195_22.01.15_paph micranthum.jpg

Congrats for growing and finally flowering it! Good Job! Is it in bloom for a while or are the brown edges from mechanic damage?

.....Is it in bloom for a while or are the brown edges from mechanic damage?
I myself was very astonished when I saw these brownish tips yesterday immedeately before I would take the photos. I haven't seen them before. The flower has been open for a week or so. I dont have a plausible explication for these brownisch tips. At any rate the aren't the result of a mechanical damage.

Congratulations Rudolf in flowering this wonderful species. It is a beauty.
Thanks, David. I think next time I will take the photos earlier to avoid such brown tips....but I was waiting for better daylight conditions....which didn't really arrive in the end.

Congrats on blooming one! My var. eburneum only lasts 7-10 days, so they might just be short-lived flowers in general?

Well done and love to see the whole plant.

Brucher, I took the photos last saturday morning and today mornig....I cut off the flower spike.
If you are pleased with the measurements of the plant, here they are. She's still a single growth plant, leafspan 18 cm (7.1") and the withd of the leaves up to 2 cm (0.8"). Please let me know if you still want to see the plant, than I will take another photo.

Last edited:
.......My var. eburneum only lasts 7-10 days, so they might just be short-lived flowers in general?

It was my first P. micranthum that I flowered so I didn't have any experience how long the flowers will last. Maybe you're right and they are similar short living ones as the flowers of Paph. Ho Chi Minh ?

Brucher, I took the photos last saturday morning and today mornig....I cut off the flower spike.
If you are pleased with the measurements of the plant, here they are. She's still a single growth plant, leafspan 18 cm (7.1") and the with of the leaves up to 2 cm (0.8"). Please let me know if you still want to see the plant, than I will take another photo.
Aww thank you. I will ALWAYS want at least one photo of the whole plant.

I think that micranthum is not an easy to bloom, so congrats on blooming.My personal memory is when I saw a blooming micranthum in a show several years ago.That was the moment when I fell in love with slippers.🥰

My experience with them: high humidity but just a little watering, maybe once per week in winter, rough, stone based media with a little bark, cool temp.

micranthum can last for weeks in cooler conditions
I disagree with that. I grew all of my micramthum cool (50-75F, even cooler than that in winter, good rh)and all of the flowers only lasted about 10 days or shorter. That goes to Magic Lanterns too(about 10-14 days)

Congratulations Rudolf, well done. Is that var eburneum or some such? It is very pale compared to mine... It bloomed 2 years ago and is very slowly developing three new growths while I wait patiently for the next blooming :) I recall that mine remained in flower for a long time, more than a month I'm sure.
20200411_101242.jpg

Congratulations Rudolf, well done. Is that var eburneum or some such? It is very pale compared to mine......
Thanks Justin.
I bought it as Paph. micranthum and although its flower looks var. eburneum like I won't change her name without to be sure and without evidences. Furthermore I read in the new book of O. Gruss about the features of var. eburneum:
- smaller bloom (? so far I can't compaire this) and the pouch without dark veining (+ appropriate)
- creme pouch with a pink colouration at the base (+ appropriate)
- leaves dark green only faint motteled silver-pale green (- I think the leaves are normal motteled)
- leaf tips more rotund not so pointed as it is with the normal micranthum (- pointed leaf tips)

So I think Pah. micranthum should be its correct name.

Latest posts

Back