Paphiopedilum micranthum var. eburneum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning flower but is it eburneum?
I thought this form has a white pouch.
eburneum is not always in white pouch. But mostly in more round pouch compare to the normal micranthum type(Yunnan area), and shorter, stronger flower stem.

eburneum is not always in white pouch. But mostly in more round pouch compare to the normal micranthum type(Yunnan area), and shorter, stronger flower stem.
So the standard form is from Northern Vietnam into Southeastern China. Does eburneum occur in completely different area that does not overlap with the habitat of the standard form??
I had an impression that both were from a very wide area encompassing much of the southeastern part of China (Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, and possily into Hunan?).

Yes, the habitat of what we called "micranthum" is a big area. The species evolution is a gradual procedure. The morphological difference between two far distance of same species is reasonable. In fact, micranthum composed several variants. I personally prefer to separate micranthum and eburneum by the patterns of their leaves.

I think, these are not really features to create a forma or variety.
O.Gruss refers in his relatively new book 'Paphiopedilum - SĂĽdostasiatische Frauenschuhe' on page 93 to a description of forma eburneum which made the late Holger Perner in his article 'Die Paphiopedilumarten Chinas' in 'Die Orchidee' 63(5) 2012 p. 350. I try to translate it into English as good as possible.
' This type often named as Guangxi-form was described by FOWLIE in 1993. Unfortunately he named it in his publication simultaneously as Paphiopedilum micranthum ssp. eburneum and var. eburneum without clearly integrate the type to one of both nomenclaturally positiones. Therefore this taxon was published invalidly. However, the relevant plants are taxonomically well to separate.
Leaves are constantly unique dark green with a more faint distinct, silver to pale green motteling of a subtle structure. The leave tips are less pointed than at the type variety and the laminas more broad. The underside of the leaves is usually completely intensely dark red. The flower has usually the same width as the type-variety but the lip is usually shorter and more rotund, its shape therefore more harmonical. The lip is white or only at its base delicate pink and the sepals and petals are mor pale.'

Last edited:
As the poster said, the leaf morphology is about the surest way to tell the two apart with high certainty.
All the micranthum I have bloomed had the leaves of the typical variety but the flowers look a lot more like what one would consider as eburneum. I can look at the plant and tell them apart since they look distinctly different in shape and in their patterns.
Can't tell by the color of the flowers as micranthum comes in the spectrum of color intensity between nearly white to dark pink. I've seen everything in between.

As the poster said, the leaf morphology is about the surest way to tell the two apart with high certainty.
All the micranthum I have bloomed had the leaves of the typical variety but the flowers look a lot more like what one would consider as eburneum. I can look at the plant and tell them apart since they look distinctly different in shape and in their patterns.
Can't tell by the color of the flowers as micranthum comes in the spectrum of color intensity between nearly white to dark pink. I've seen everything in between.
Thanks! you said what I want to say.

Back