Paphiopedilum Mem. Joan Levy ‘Crystelle’ AM/AOS (81 points)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This giant Paph hybrid came onto our table after we passed several plants and it impressed us with nine curly flowers on two tall inflorescences. Parents are stonei x gigantifolium.

The initial score was out of range but then was rescored to average of 81 points AM/AOS. As team captain I think it is a deservedly fair score.

What do you guys and gals think?

3D9CA3E0-A78B-414F-856A-AAFDEF64BCD0.jpegE9F810F2-A6B6-4F5D-AC66-F0BA04C767EB.jpeg5F8BFCF7-D521-4B27-9D71-894AA57102A8.jpeg01B9C458-A684-4BA7-82E6-B979051193B2.jpeg

I find it gorgeous and well deserving an award!

But whether an AM or a HCC, in so far as I from this side of the big Pond understand your judging system, might be subject to debate - and seems to be so, according to some of the comments.

From the photos in this thread I guess, it would be within the range of a SM in Europe. However, as stated by Leslie, to make a more final verdict, one would probably have to be present in person. I wonder, though, whether you have the "official" award photo to share, Leslie?

Last edited:
What a wonderful hybrid and an appropriate award. But with a hybrid like that I am not surprised by it being out of range at first. The dorsals are nicely marked, round, color seems crisp and clear.
It could initially have been a you either like it or you don’t type of thing.
But gee wiz Dr. Ee, you could have taken that “silly green worm” off of there before you took the picture!!! 😜😁😛

I find it gorgeous and well deserving an award!

But whether an AM or a HCC, in so far as I from this side of the big Pond understand your judging system, might be subject to debate - and seems to be so, according to some of the comments.

From the photos in this thread I guess, it would be within the range of a SM in Europe. However, as stated by Leslie, to make a more final verdict, one would probably have to be present in person. I wonder, though, whether you have the "official" award photo to share, Leslie?
I don’t have the official photo yet but when I do I’ll post here.

What a wonderful hybrid and an appropriate award. But with a hybrid like that I am not surprised by it being out of range at first. The dorsals are nicely marked, round, color seems crisp and clear.
It could initially have been a you either like it or you don’t type of thing.
But gee wiz Dr. Ee, you could have taken that “silly green worm” off of there before you took the picture!!! 😜😁😛
I couldn’t touch the plant as it was now in the hands of the photographer. You know how they hate anyone to manipulate the inflorescence or go near it once it leaves the judging table.

This was at Redlands right DrLeslieEe? If so, I saw it when it was being judged and it was freak'in awesome. One spike with 5 had a serious problem of whipping the last flower back towards the others because it had such a thin and maybe weak stem. With Leslie's quick pics for us to enjoy probably skewed the flower spacing which to me looked fairly even in real life.
As for the whipping around of the last flower, I can't judge it harshly because I recently had the same thing happen to my Shin Yi Pride. I had to work the day of judging so Jay took the plant in for me. Then he sends me an awful pic of the top flower flipping backwards. He found sticks and artificially straightened back up. Here is the pic he sent me.IMG_4328.jpg
It still came home with a AM, as did Frank's.

Latest posts

Back