Paphiopedilum mastersianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I've been growing them for 6 years from the flask which I got from Troy Meyers. Actually, this is derived from a SlipperTalk collaboration between Rick L and Uri. For the first generation, Rick managed to make some of them flower in 3 years. My plants are the grand-kids of Rick and Uri's original plants. Under my cooler condition, it took 6 years, and this is the first bloom among the siblings. I haven't lost many seedlings and they have been growing steadily, but they are pretty slow growing here. Leaves remain very pale, though. Link to my blog post.

P4030079.jpgP4030088.jpgP4030097.jpgP4030115.jpg

......but they are pretty slow growing here. Leaves remain very pale, though.....
Paph. masterianum is one of my favorite among Paphs and in the past it wasn't that easy to get one here in Germany. Nowadays it semms to be easier and I also have grown one but it's unfortunately away from flowering size at the moment. I really like yours, it's a beauty. 👍
I asume you've grown your plants under artificial lights so maybe the pale leaves are caused by too much light ?

Last edited:
Paph. masterianum is one of my favorite among Paphs and in the past it wasn't that easy to get one here in Germany. Nowadays it semms to be easier and I also have grown one but it's unfortunately away from flowering size at the moment. I really like yours, it's a beauty. 👍
I asume you've grown your plants under artificial lights so maybe the pale leaves are cause by too much light ?
One of my favourite too!
Guru, you say it's easier to find one in Germany, but I still have not seen any available in the many catalogue I looked at.
Any advice? Thanks

.........you say it's easier to find one in Germany, but I still have not seen any available in the many catalogue I looked at.
Any advice? Thanks
Lorenzo, easier to find dosn't mean permanently available. I bought mine from Hilmar Asendorfer Orchideen a bit more than one year ago. At the moment Paph. mastersianum isn't listed in his shop...but send him an email and ask him. Sometimes he has few plants which don't appear in his shop. Another vendor/nursery is Claessen Orchids and Plants BV from Holland. But they also say 'out of stock' at the moment. I bought from them 2 Paphis one month ago and they arrived in very good quality but both species were few days after my order also 'out of stock'. But you can sign up for an update in case it is again available. Anyway, I can recommend them at any rate.

Lorenzo, easier to find dosn't mean permanently available. I bought mine from Hilmar Asendorfer Orchideen a bit more than one year ago. At the moment Paph. mastersianum isn't listed in his shop...but send him an email and ask him. Sometimes he has few plants which don't appear in his shop. Another vendor/nursery is Claessen Orchids and Plants BV from Holland. But they also say 'out of stock' at the moment. I bought from them 2 Paphis one month ago and they arrived in very good quality but both species were few days after my order also 'out of stock'. But you can sign up for an update in case it is again available. Anyway, I can recommend them at any rate.
I'm going to place an order at Hilmar so I will ask about It. Thanks very much for tips!!

I asume you've grown your plants under artificial lights so maybe the pale leaves are caused by too much light ?

I'm wondering if it is the case. I'm growing them at the light level similar to other mottled leaf paphs. I wonder if they prefer even lower light. But they seem to grow even with the pale color, so I haven't changed it.

I think mastersianum is a hard to grow sp. Huge congrats on growing and blooming.Great job! Any culture advice?

I don't do anything special, other than the fact that I'm growing them at the lower temp. For the first generation, I think Rick managed to bloom some of the first gen. in 3 years. So they probably prefer warmer temp. There are quite a bit of variation among siblings with 7 or so growing faster and others are still in the compots. I guess that the ones which happen to match with my environments may be doing better. I kept them in the deflasked compots for a long time (4-5 years, I think), but they seem to be ok with the crowded environment.

I saw his offer too and maybe you've got a true Paph mastersianum.....but I'm not convinced that the photo on his website shows a true Paph. mastersianum ?
Oh really? Is that because of the dorsal or something else? It does have light coloured foliage and is slow growing, I don't have anything more to go by at the moment. I will post it when it blooms 👍

Oh really? Is that because of the dorsal or something else? It does have light coloured foliage and is slow growing, .......
Justin, no need to worry ! I don't know your plant and didn't assess it. I just said that the photo in his online shop doesn't show Paph. masterianum but Paph. hookerae or a primary hybrid of P. hookerae. Maybe he only mixed the photos up ? But on the other hand a vendor should know how the species that he sells looks like.

Last edited:
Rudolf's advice is very sound. Most vendors don't have everything listed in their web-shops - I gather, they have to have a larger stock of a plant for the effort to be worthwhile. So it always pays off to ask.
If you deal with Hilmar at Asendorfer Oz., make sure, that you get a plant of the size you want. His plants are of good quality, but a lot of his Paph-sortiment is made up of young plants in 7 cm pots (my patience - maybe also my age - doesn't work very well with buying plants of that size). But Hilmar is always friendly in communication and his answers straightforward.
You could also try: Orchideenhaus Asien in Schloß Holte-Stuckenbrock (they have a larger sortiment, than can be gleaned from their homepage - and VERY reasonable prices!).
Another option is Franz Glanz at Wößner Orchideen.
If you want to be sure of getting a masterianum, write to Sam Tsui of Orchid Inn (Paphiopedilum - Species - Page 8 - Orchid Inn Ltd.) and ask to be put on his mailing list to get informed when he visits Europe next time!

Latest posts

Back