Paphiopedilum mastersianum ‘Chocolate’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it finally opened after 2 months from first sign of low bud!

The interesting thing is that the pouch is really dark chocolate, not common in this species, which usually range from light rose to pale brown.

Petals are light mahogany brown and the dorsal sepal is apple green with white halo.

Only downside is that the DS doesn’t flatten out as well as the better ones that are out there. Maybe need more time to stretch as it has only been open for 3-4 days.

NS = 10 cm
DS = 4 x 4 cm
P = 1.8 x 5 cm

1D4D9B43-78D7-43D9-8C7F-FAFD8A83E4FF.jpeg 1B693F48-481F-4ADD-B2B1-BDA2589EE947.jpeg

Extraordinary clone!I love it!!!!Awardalbe, I think.

Hear, hear - extraordinary beautifull flower! May we see the plant in toto?

And where in the world did you happen to get hold of such beauty? If I may be so free to ask? I've never seen anything like it!

To name a top 3 is for me impossible - there are so many wonderfull ones, each possesing their individual charm!

Kind regards,
Jens

1. sanderianum
2. hangianum
3. micranthum

Beautiful mastersianum btw, another one to add to my wish/need/gotta have list.
Thank you. I hope to cross this with the wonderful mastersianum from Dandrobium who posted here last month. I will also send this pollen to Paph Paradise to cross with his exceptional cultivars from OZ.

I do love micranthum too esp. the album. I have one NBS from Popow and he is so cute.

Hear, hear - extraordinary beautifull flower! May we see the plant in toto?

And where in the world did you happen to get hold of such beauty? If I may be so free to ask? I've never seen anything like it!

To name a top 3 is for me impossible - there are so many wonderfull ones, each possesing their individual charm!

Kind regards,
Jens
Thanks for the flower accolades. This is a first bloom seedling I got from Orchid Inn about 2 years ago. It is mastersianum 'Jeannie' x self. I got about 3-4 of these. And a few more from Marlowe's too. I think about 2-3 are in low bud (maybe).

Will post whole plant soon.

I agree … to choose top 3 is almost impossible. But if I had to save 3 plants, that's what I would pick, eventhough my albums (like my lowii, wardii, purpuratum, helenae, venustums, micranthum, malipoense, tonsums, wolterianum/appletonianum, henryanum, charlesworthiis, papuanum) are my most prized. Plus my sanderianums and roths, and my tigrinums and randsiis.

What would you save?

What would you save?

Leslie, this is a cruel game...you wouldn't ask a caring mother, which of her children she would save from a house on fire, would you? As my mentor, mr. Christiansen of Fredensborg, once said with vehemence and indignation, waiting for some plants in transit to arrive and being let down by the postal services: "After all, those orchids are LIVING BEINGS!"

Hard pressed, I would probably go for grabbing cultivars, that I have an affinity to, rather than species:

- insigne 'Harefield Hall' (because I love its flowers and because it, allegedly, is one of few of this cultivars still residing in Europe)
- helenae fma aureum 'Lemon Elf'
- henryanum 'Heavy Metal'
- hirs. var. esquirolei fma. viride 'Richard Globe IM'
- my two very different clones of druryi

And finally two plants, I haven't seen in flower yet, and would hate not to:
- rothschildianum ('Sam's Choice' x 'MM Best') - the other clones of this cross, I've seen on photos, have been among the best of the species
- stonei fma alboflavum (because I've grown it for years - and for it to flower might be my only chance to see it irl! ;))

Last edited:
Well, it finally opened after 2 months from first sign of low bud!

The interesting thing is that the pouch is really dark chocolate, not common in this species, which usually range from light rose to pale brown.

Petals are light mahogany brown and the dorsal sepal is apple green with white halo.

Only downside is that the DS doesn’t flatten out as well as the better ones that are out there. Maybe need more time to stretch as it has only been open for 3-4 days.

NS = 10 cm
DS = 4 x 4 cm
P = 1.8 x 5 cm

View attachment 19171 View attachment 19172
I. Love. IT.

Thats a gorgeous bloom Leslie! I love the dark pouch! It should fully open after about a week, at least mine took about that long. I'll cut the spike and send the pollen this week.

Leslie, this is a cruel game...you wouldn't ask a caring mother, which of her children she would save from a house on fire, would you? As my mentor, mr. Christiansen of Fredensborg, once said with vehemence and indignation, waiting for some plants in transit to arrive and being let down by the postal services: "After all, those orchids are LIVING BEINGS!"

Hard pressed, I would probably go for grabbing cultivars, that I have an affinity to, rather than species:

- insigne 'Harefield Hall' (because I love its flowers and because it, allegedly, is one of few of this cultivars still residing in Europe)
- helenae fma aureum 'Lemon Elf'
- henryanum 'Heavy Metal'
- hirs. var. esquirolei fma. viride 'Richard Globe IM'
- my two very different clones of druryi

And finally two plants, I haven't seen in flower yet, and would hate not to:
- rothschildianum ('Sam's Choice' x 'MM Best') - the other clones of this cross, I've seen on photos, have been among the best of the species
- stonei fma alboflavum (because I've grown it for years - and for it to flower might be my only chance to see it irl! ;))
Indeed we need to save them all! They are our babies!

But you have chosen so rest assured it’s only hypothetical lol.

We wait anxiously for your stonei album to flower as well. I have seen one once in bloom at the Windsor show owned by Zephyrus Orchids. It was the type plant in the official species description. Was unique and ghostly in appearance. I was flabbergasted! And salivated over it many moments.

Latest posts

Back