Paphiopedilum malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the bloom. I enjoy seeing these. I have one that has spiked and blasted one year. Only to spike at open very oddly the next.

Thanks for posting your. Clearly I will not be enjoying mine for a while.

Here in the south US, P. malipoense is 'famous' for putting up spikes in August/September that never open flowers. About 3 months later the buds crash and the spike dies. Maybe 1 out of 10 will open a flower.

Usually only the spikes that come up in December actually open their buds

We moved to Va last Aug and my malipoense spiked around Oct and just slowly developed its bud only to die by Jan. I thought I made a mistake of fertilizing it,, I wonder if anyone was succesful by not feeding at all when spike and bud was developing.

Thanks everyone, and I havent fertilised mine while the bud and spike has been developing, I read somewhere on ST that it reduces the length of time the bloom lasts so I erred on the side of caution.

I don't know if there is anything to this but I'll tell the story any ways.
I had two plants spike a few years back. One had plenty of overhead space to grow a tall spike. The other not so. After the one with no head room got up about 10 inches, I moved it to different spot. Big mistake, blasted in a couple of weeks. The other went on to bloom

Latest posts

Back