Paphiopedilum (malipoense x Fanaticum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnathaniel

Lurker
Reaction score
First-bloom seedling, NS is about 10 cm and would be close to 14 if it opened flatter. I like it a lot though I'm not sure how much it improves over either parent, nonetheless a nice flower to have around. One of my favorite aspects is that it has a long, thick malipoense-ish spike but only took about 2.5 months from first showing bud to bloom like this. Happy New Year, everyone! :)

Paphiopedilum (malipoense x Fanaticum) by gnathaniel, on Flickr

That is wonderful! I love everything about that flower! How are you growing it? Also how did you buy it? Thanks!

That is wonderful! I love everything about that flower! How are you growing it? Also how did you buy it? Thanks!

Thanks! I got it from Orchidaceae, Inc via ebay (orchidsnw) about a year ago, they periodically list several different Parvi seedlings but this particular cross usually gets bid up too high for me. I got lucky and scored this for a little above starting bid one week, wish I had a few more of them.

This is still growing in the 4" pot in bark that it came in and has lived in a south-facing windowsill with sporadic watering, especially recently. We were unexpectedly stuck away form home for about 3 weeks of December (long story) and my plants went unwatered for the duration, but the spike continued developing even so. Temps probably vary between about 55 and 90 F throughout the year next to the somewhat leaky window. I'll probably put this in a basket with live moss, limestone, stalite, and bark sometime this week or next, most of my other Parvis are doing alright in similar setups.

Eric, I keep forgetting to sniff in the morning but I'll try to remember tomorrow and report back. I'll be surprised if it's not fragrant, given the ancestry.

Latest posts

Back