Paphiopedilum leucochilum album ‘MoonCake’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acquired from Hanajima Orchids at the Tokyo Dome show in 2020. Had a hard time establishing but finally bloomed on a small growth.

Flowers are supposed to be larger at 8-9 cm but pushed out a 6.5 cm one. Will harvest pollen and let plant grow stronger.

I named him MoonCake after my favourite cartoon character in Final Space lol.

57823B93-40BF-42ED-AA43-5B9DBB537FC0.jpeg3B6B4547-6F00-4277-85BF-424C098364DC.jpegF5C3EFF5-861A-497D-9412-40403C8449F3.jpegD48FC68E-8B1D-49FA-9461-6C935B14571B.jpeg9004891B-3705-4774-B3ED-B05D95936A1A.jpeg3D9AAEC8-FE80-42D3-A86B-DD7F5582ADC6.jpeg

A little bruised up from environmental stress.

Leslie, that's a lovely Paph. godefroyae album. 👍

I supposed if leucochilum is a variety of godefroyae with a white pouch, then your name is correct.

However if two half albums leucochilums (looking phenotypically with spots on petals and dorsals) are crossed, and pure white flowers show up, what will you name it?

However if two half albums leucochilums (looking phenotypically with spots on petals and dorsals) are crossed, and pure white flowers show up, what will you name it?
Maybe leucochilums album but not albino !

I supposed if leucochilum is a variety of godefroyae with a white pouch, then your name is correct.

Sorry Leslie, I should have written ....that's a lovely Pap. godefroyae album at least in my eyes.
I know that KEW Science lists Paph. leucochilum as true and accepted species. But sorry in this case I can't follow this assessment. The differences are too small - at least in my eyes - to give it a species status. I insist for myself to name it Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum. Obviously I'm in good company.
Werner Freitag wrote on February 5th.
just looked in Olaf Gruss new book . He follows Braem & Chevron and calls it godefroyae forma leucochilum.
So far I don't have the new book of G. Braem and it would be of interest what he wrote their about this varity/species.

If you follow KES and you see Paph. leucochilum as a true species......In this case your name would be correct. But on the other hand I think, you couldn't distinguish this plant from Paph. godefroyae album.

Latest posts

Back