Paphiopedilum leucochilum ‘Blackest Knight’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Leslie, also when your plant is not a Pahiopedilum godefroyae f. leucochilum. In the original description you can read that the lip is white without any other coloration. So your plant is a wonderful godedfroyae.

Attachments

• Paph. leucochilum Gardener's Chronicle p. 815 fig 106 1894 mit Kurztext auus Orchid Digest.jpg
    Paph. leucochilum Gardener's Chronicle p. 815 fig 106 1894 mit Kurztext auus Orchid Digest.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0
  • Paph. leucochilum Orchid Digest 1975 p 110.jpg
    Paph. leucochilum Orchid Digest 1975 p 110.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 0
Congrats Leslie, also when your plant is not a Pahiopedilum godefroyae f. leucochilum. In the original description you can read that the lip is white without any other coloration. So your plant is a wonderful godedfroyae.
Thanks Olaf for confirmation off the mouth of a taxonomist the fact, I've been always talking about.

Congrats Leslie, well-deserved price! Absolutely amazing flower and especially the dark coloring. I understand the reasoning behind scoring, and that`s true that the color and form are FCC-worthy. Otherwise, as you said the rim of the pouch is a bit wonky. I so love these plants! It could be the same kind of breeding as my godefroyae black x black. I wish it will look at least a little bit like yours, but I try not to get my hopes up. It should look something like that, but it has not opened yet. It`s getting there, but it will take perhaps two or three days.
I`m happy for you and the whole plant is beautiful. 😍🙏 Good luck!

BTW, I don`t know if you remember anymore, but when I made my introduction here at ST, you said welcome to NATO, and then, Oops!... Well, now you don`t have to say Oops anymore, it happened officially today. Finland is now a member of NATO. So, thank you again. 🥰 🤣
I wait patiently for your (black x black) to open! You might have a lottery plant too!

And now officially, welcome to NATO!!!

Thank you Olaf for weighing in. And I fully understand the historical definition of the leucochilum's pristine white pouch.

I do have a question: If a selfing of a true leucochilum produced progeny with one spot or two on the pouch, will that progeny be then considered a godefroyae, eventhough the true parent was a leucochilum from a different ecocline?

This has happened before with progeny showing spots. I'm curious on this answer.

Thank you so much Dr Leslie, for your official welcoming to NATO! 🤩
My godefroyae seems to want to make us waite for opening itself. Maybe it waits for Easter Sunday, or perhaps it's going to look completely ordinary, and knows what I hope and expect for and don't want to show itself. 😁 Labels can be mixed also.

BTW, may I ask what kind of doctor you are? You mentioned once something of your patients. You don't have to answer, if you don't want to. It's okay. 😊

Thank you so much Dr Leslie, for your official welcoming to NATO! 🤩
My godefroyae seems to want to make us waite for opening itself. Maybe it waits for Easter Sunday, or perhaps it's going to look completely ordinary, and knows what I hope and expect for and don't want to show itself. 😁 Labels can be mixed also.

BTW, may I ask what kind of doctor you are? You mentioned once something of your patients. You don't have to answer, if you don't want to. It's okay. 😊
One needs to be patient with these paphs.

I am a naturopathic physician, a veteran of 20 plus years now.

My other of leuco is also in bud but taking it’s sweet time, looking at his brother for inspiration.

F6305AB7-9CA6-4072-B95D-0F65322EEF06.jpeg3BB86662-0FD7-4023-8261-A4C4AD73E467.jpeg

My other of leuco is also in bud but taking it’s sweet time, looking at his brother for inspiration.

View attachment 39511View attachment 39512
I sincerely apologize for taking so long to react to your post. That is interesting, I happen to know a little about naturopathy. There are medicines even for animals. I remember in the 1990s that on a bigger dairy farm, the chief knew someone who he ordered from some herbal medicine for a cow that had a yeast inflammation in her udders. There is not otherwise any antibiotic or other `official` medicine for yeast infl. I don`t remember for sure that did it help. Yeast inflammation is thankfully not usual, normally certain bacteria cause them. I have even once tried herbs myself as described by someone like you. Thank you for telling us/me.
That second bud is looking nice. Looks like that plant might make two flowers at the same inflorescence.

View attachment 39511View attachment 39512
Gosh, Leslie, I wish you were in VA. Naturopathic (or Intergrative) Physicians are somewhat scarce in the Fredericksburg area. Even in Northern VA they are not easy to find good ones.

Latest posts

Back