Paphiopedilum Joyce Hasegawa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Joyce Hasegawa (delenatii x emersonii)

I purchased this years ago from Jay Pfahl as part of a fundraiser for Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia (IOSPE). It's grown quite well and happily for quite some time and seems to be a much faster grower than most all my other P. emersonii hybrids.

The flowers are on the smaller size for a parvi, but there are 2 of them, so I guess that makes up for it. These are quite fragrant, surprisingly so. There's a faint delenatii influence and the best way I can think to describe it is to say it's a complex floral scent with very minor rose-like components to it.

96zmT4Gl.jpg

6v5jk4dl.jpg

96ZowpSl.jpg

aQMsqVnl.jpg

cNmwaEpl.jpg

yR6ef1Hl.jpg

MIyfc5wl.jpg

Album: https://imgur.com/a/xYyJ933

Very pleasant color combination and a bonus two flower blooming. The twisted dorsal is a distraction for me but would not kick it to the streets because of it.
I have one plant of this cross and I can attest to it's slow growth habit.

I
Very pleasant color combination and a bonus two flower blooming. The twisted dorsal is a distraction for me but would not kick it to the streets because of it.
I have one plant of this cross and I can attest to it's slow growth habit.

With this clone, I'm not sure I'd call it a slow grower honestly. It's grown quickly for a P. emersonii hybrid. The length of time it has taken to bloom is because it would throw out new leaf after new leaf. It wasn't until it started producing new growths that it initiated a spike. In fact the leaves develop quickly in spurts.

I agree the dorsal could be better, but I love floppy parvi flowers. I'm actually not a huge fan of pale flowers and especially white and pink flowers, but this hybrid I can make an exception for.

That is a lovely outcome for this hybrid. Full and beautifully colored. Fragrant at that!!

How big was it, and how many years ago??
I have three plants of this hybrid from three different sourses. All were bought in 2016 as a medium sized seedling about 3 inch leaf span.
They are all about 8-10 inch leaf span now. All still single growth plants with no signs of blooming.
At least for mine, I say they are the slowest of the emersonii hybrid after (emersonii x hangianum).
Emersonii x malipoense is close next, but they are at least blooming. All very slow.
Franz Glanz (x armeniacum) and Cams Cloud (x bellatulum) grew like cabbage for me. but I got rid of them. Sold.

That is a lovely outcome for this hybrid. Full and beautifully colored. Fragrant at that!!

How big was it, and how many years ago??
I have three plants of this hybrid from three different sourses. All were bought in 2016 as a medium sized seedling about 3 inch leaf span.
They are all about 8-10 inch leaf span now. All still single growth plants with no signs of blooming.
At least for mine, I say they are the slowest of the emersonii hybrid after (emersonii x hangianum).
Emersonii x malipoense is close next, but they are at least blooming. All very slow.
Franz Glanz (x armeniacum) and Cams Cloud (x bellatulum) grew like cabbage for me. but I got rid of them. Sold.

I think I got it in 2016, give or take a year, and it was a mature sized division at the time. Currently the leaf span is about 15 inches (38 cm), where as the flower is a bit more than 4 (10 cm) inches wide. It's grown a lot since I've had it, but it was developing new leaf after new leaf instead of flowering. This year, it finally started to develop new growths back in the spring and not long after I noticed the new spike starting.

GASP, you sold all of your Franz Glanz? I love mine too much, plus I've got a couple that I still haven't seen in bloom yet. One is too young/small, the other has tried once or twice but blasted.

Either way, the fragrance on this is worth the wait! It's sufficiently different from the average hangianum (or hang hybrid) yet approximately as strong.

I think I got it in 2016, give or take a year, and it was a mature sized division at the time. Currently the leaf span is about 15 inches (38 cm), where as the flower is a bit more than 4 (10 cm) inches wide. It's grown a lot since I've had it, but it was developing new leaf after new leaf instead of flowering. This year, it finally started to develop new growths back in the spring and not long after I noticed the new spike starting.

GASP, you sold all of your Franz Glanz? I love mine too much, plus I've got a couple that I still haven't seen in bloom yet. One is too young/small, the other has tried once or twice but blasted.

Either way, the fragrance on this is worth the wait! It's sufficiently different from the average hangianum (or hang hybrid) yet approximately as strong.
I love

Well, all the Franz Glanz I had grew into clumps in no time and made sheaths, but the buds would sit low forever and eventually just blast.
It was highly irritating!
During this same time, a couple of my Wössner China Moon seedlings bloomed for two years in a row and I loved the flowers.
And they are sending up two spikes this year. Yay!!
Plus, I had a bunch of other armeniacum hybrids to please me, so it was easy to let go of Franz Glanz. :)

Ok, so I was way off on the leaf span on my Joyce Hasegawa. They are all in the range of 9-13inch long from tip to tip. One of them is spiking deep down, I think. I don't like how long the leaves are.

Latest posts

Back