Paphiopedilum javanicum var floresianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally, my first javanicum to bloom (of ten, seven of which are half albino selfings). This is the floresianum variety, with more reddish tones (not really present in this one) than the normal type.

A very waxy olive brown-green with magenta borders around the dorsal sepal and petals.

Color appears dull, typical of species. Reminds of the nephrite jade from BC and NZ.

The shape I really like with the erect spade shaped dorsal and outspread petals.

NS about 10 cm.

Culture: bark mix, warm, low light, moist all year

5B3A6CF1-66E0-465B-AFDC-E9FBD7AD4368.jpeg343BCB4F-3467-456A-8179-48FBF728B7E4.jpeg56AB0274-BB10-4577-B5C7-5FAEDAC6807B.jpeg6F8C6447-99AA-4AE7-834E-2C2F539E358E.jpeg

Can’t wait for my half albino selfings to bloom as there is a 25% chance of an albino appearing!

That's a lovely P. javanicum. I like this elegant greenish flower with its upright dorsal and the soooooo long flower stem. 👌
Leslie, did you choose a background of the photo that fits to spots on the petals? Lol 😎

Last edited:
That's a lovely P. javanicum. I like this elegant greenish flower with its upright dorsal the soooooo long flower stem. 👌
Leslie, did you choose a background of the photo that fits to spots on the petals? Lol 😎
Haha yes the flower is camouflaging against the background!

Thanks to both 'likes' to boost the flower's confidence!

Very, very good and beautifull flower and plant, Leslie! Nothing I don't like about it...and those broad petals, ah!

One thing, though, that intrigues me is, how your flower differs from var. virens?!
Thanks Jens. I’m really happy with this first ever species bloom for me. I have always adored the shape of the good javanicums. And this one fits the bill for me.

In terms of the difference with virens, there are key objective differences (enough for me to say they are different species!):

1. Petals of virens are more horizontal whereas javanicums are usually angled down by 45 degrees.

2. The tips of the viren petals are also tipped bright pink on distal 1/4 to 1/3.

3. The green of the virens flower is usually brighter green (lime green) and not dull green like javanicum. This makes the virens flower brighter green with pink petal tips.

4. The staminode of the virens sometimes have a brighter green tip on the lower edge. The virens staminode sometimes have pink blush too.

5. The inner rim of the virens pouch sometimes are flushed pink too.

Also the plants are different vegetatively. Virens leaves tend to be more compact and stiff, angled up (though not all, which I think are intermediary hybrid swarms of the two crossed together).

The holotype plant description of the javanicum from the Kew herbarium sample fits my flower to the tea. That was from 1888 I think!

Back