Paphiopedilum jackii x armeniacum: problem

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I had this paphio last year in dec., in bloom; here the flower:

a new flower stalk came up in sept. and continues to do well, but around it the leaves began to have dark spots, expanding to whole leaves. This is not my only paphio showing this kind of spotting, it also occurs for delenatii, for example.. Is this due to watering? should I cut off the flower stem to save the plant, or will this be the last flowering anyway?

Jean, when was this plant last repotted? The medium looks very wet and broke down. I'd check the roots on the plants and gently remove those dead leaves. I suspect there will be few roots due to overwatering and/or old medium. If it were me, I'd cut off the spike if it's got no roots to try and save the plant.

Hi Jean,
It's not easy to give a diagnosis by photos but I suspect besides what Candance wrote there is a high probability of a fungus infection.
So what to do ?
- cut off all infected or wilted leaves, don't leave any remains of infected leaves at the plants
- repott the plants in a new medium and keep it moist not wet
- isolate the plants - if it is really a fungus infection it is contagious to other plants
- spray the plant with a fungicide. I had a fungus infection (a kind of rust fungus) at some of my plants in late spring/early summer this year and I applied with success -CELAFLOR ROSEN-PILZFREI SAPROL®-. I'm sure you will get this remedy also in Luxembourg and if not the German border isn't far.
I hope this will help you.
Good luck to your plants and best regards from Germany, GuRu

thank you Candace and GuRu; I shall look at the roots and repot the plant! GuRu, I should find the fungicide from Saprol in Trier, its just 30km to do!

Sorry to see you have this problem but if you really want to know a problem..we can't get this plant here!

I thought you go to Greater New York Orchid Society international show every year:rollhappy::rollhappy:

By the way, couldn't it be that the plant just try to drop couple leaves to transfer the nutrition to the bloom?

I agree with Candace. I just had a concolor do the same thing. I did not unpot because it was in spike. When the bloom faded I unpotted and all the roots were rotten. :sob:( does spag and bag work on paphs?) This is not the normal yellowing of the leaves I see when a plant is just dropping leaves due to age.

Yes, sphag-n-bag works well w/ paphs. I would dazzle you all w/ photos of my sphag-n-bag but I seem to have lost my camera. :mad: That's a bad thing right?

Yes, sphag-n-bag works well w/ paphs. I would dazzle you all w/ photos of my sphag-n-bag but I seem to have lost my camera. :mad: That's a bad thing right?

Check among the phrags, maybe the camera is somewhere in that jungle.:poke:

Knock knock, CITES police!! :(

There won't be a GNYOS show next year.

So the lesson is one should buy when one see something at the show at the exact moment the eyes draw to "IT" [whatever IT is, is up to the personal taste]
I miss many chances to buy quite a few very desirable plants, because I think the plants will still be on the seller's table after I make my round around the show floor.:sob:

There will be a show next year; just later in the year than usual and in a new location. This should give you the opportunity to spend more money on plants! :D

I had the same thing happen to all but one malipoense. My problem wasn't mix or water but too much fertilizer at the wrong time of the summer. Hot(low 90's) rainning for weeks (high humidity and no sun). The plants weren't growing but I was pumping on the fert at 100ppm as always. I stopped all fertilizing, the sun came out and the leaves stopped browning off. I waited for a month and started feeding again with good results.

thanks all,
I repotted the plant after having removed all wilted leaves, and the dead roots; I found out that there is already a tiny, new shoot. I used Saprol, GuRu. Candace, I did not have the grit to cut off the flower spike as the flower starts to open! Hope, I can show its pict. soon, (and next season, too).

Eric, I bought this plant in the official selling space of an orchid nursery (I did not pick it up in one of the greenhouses this time!!), so for me there was no Cites-issue, or am I wrong?? :eek:

Jean

I did not have the grit to cut off the flower spike as the flower starts to open!
I know...that can be very painful and I've only done so once. But, actually there are better roots than what I would have expected, so I think your fungicide treatment that Guru recommended was an excellent idea.

Jean, the CITES laws vary tremendously from country to country. Also the vigor with with the enforcement is taken. In this country, I've actually heard of agents employing house-thieves to break into a nursery in exchange for reducing sentences.

Jean, the CITES laws vary tremendously from country to country. Also the vigor with with the enforcement is taken. In this country, I've actually heard of agents employing house-thieves to break into a nursery in exchange for reducing sentences.

-I imagine jackii x armeniacum plants are to Europeans as dandelions are in US lawns in summer time. I did not think the parent species are rare in Europe, let alone a hybrid.
The breaking in by thieves sounds awful.

... I used Saprol, GuRu. Candace, I did not have the grit to cut off the flower spike as the flower starts to open!....Jean
Hi Jean,
I understand it is not easy for you to cut off the flower spike but from my own experiences I just can recommend you - do it. I say frankly if I was you I would do it!!!! :pity:
At any rate your plant is weakened by the root problem perhaps even fungus desease and in correlation with producing or maintaining a flower spike it might kill your plant.
I hope that won't happen!!! :)

...so for me there was no Cites-issue, or am I wrong??
No, you are not wrong!!! For trading / purchasing orchids within the EU you won't need any paperworks, Cites or anything else. You will need it only if you intend to import orchids from outside of the EU.
Best regards from Germany, GuRU

Latest posts

Back