Paphiopedilum jackii blooming in their habitat

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stunning photo Canh, I like this species.
are they easier to grow and to bloom than malipoense?

Excellent. I bought the one I have (05/15) after I had aquired the malipoense (07/14) and it flowered in 2017 and the malipoense flowered in 2018. That's just one instance. The jackii produced a new lead quicker also.
Don

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

Purely out of curiosity, do most on here consider jackii to be its own species or a subspecies of p. malipoense?

Purely out of curiosity, do most on here consider jackii to be its own species or a subspecies of p. malipoense?

I'm not sure. My completely non-valid, non-scientific impression is that it is a separate species, but that there's some level of debate or difference of opinion on it.

Historically speaking, there is (or has been) impetus to classify/label it as a variety of malipoense, since that makes/made it easier to import into the US (and maybe other countries). While that's obviously not a valid consideration with concern to taxonomy, it could affect collectors' opinion on which classification to accept.

On the other hand, the foliage is distinctly different, the petals and pouch shape tend to be different, the staminode color is obviously very distinctive. Many of the comparable primary hybrids are also fairly distinguishable, as well. So, from a hobbyist grower's perspective, it certainly seems like it could be a different species.

I think jackii is a own species - it grow in a large areas and the altitude of this species is diffirent from malipoense.

Back