Paphiopedilum insigne

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this as a "near blooming size" plant over four years ago. ha! Well it is finally blooming. What do you think? I was expecting something different from Paphiopedilum insigne. Specifically more white at the top of the dorsal. I dont see many of these though.

View attachment 22398View attachment 22399
You have a healthy, normal insigne with a nice flower. The amount of white in the dorsal sepal varies from plant to plant. I would increase the pot size a little and give it good culture with I-C conditions and only a little fertilizer every third watering. In time, if you are successful, you will have a great specimen plant. Good luck & good growing!

There’s an old lithograph of named insigne varieties...I can’t find it right now but I got it from the Australian skipper group on Facebook. You might find your beauty in there.

The size of white areas in the dorsal sepal of P. insigne as well as the size and intensity of the dots is quite variable. If you want a a flower with special features....there is only one way....buy a flowering plant.
As to your P. insigne....it's a nice one with good colouration and proportions. And as others already mentioned by now P. insigne isn't much common in these days maybe due to its growing requirements. If you grow it well - and you do - you should be lucky to own it.

Thanks all! Unfortunately, I don't know much about the parentage. It was in the "as is" section of Seattle Orchids some years ago when I bought it. nothing but Paphiopedilum insigne was on the tag

This is the first time I have actually seen one in person. Like everyone has confirmed, these are just not that common anymore.

Back