Paphiopedilum insigne var. moortibensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Slippertalkers. I received a plant with this tag; anyone know what “moortibensis” might be? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. Hoping it rings a bell to someone.

Attachments

• 693ECFB0-1FD2-44BC-845D-374704B568D8.jpeg
    693ECFB0-1FD2-44BC-845D-374704B568D8.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 13
"Moortebeekiense" was a varietal name applied to a number of orchids in the late 19th century.

I can find no particular reference explaining what that is, but if you consider that the "-iense" or just "-ense" as being a way to identify a variety "from" a specific geographic region, that leads us to Moortebeek, which is a region just west of Brussels, and none of the associated orchids are native to there.

There is a de Bruyne plate where an odontoglossum hybrid cultivar was incorrectly identified as "variety" Etoile De Moortebeek, so maybe it is simply a cultivar.

"Moortebeekiense" was a varietal name applied to a number of orchids in the late 19th century.

I can find no particular reference explaining what that is, but if you consider that the "-iense" or just "-ense" as being a way to identify a variety "from" a specific geographic region, that leads us to Moortebeek, which is a region just west of Brussels, and none of the associated orchids are native to there.

There is a de Bruyne plate where an odontoglossum hybrid cultivar was incorrectly identified as "variety" Etoile De Moortebeek, so maybe it is simply a cultivar.
Wow Ray thank you for this response! Never heard of the appellation but will be on the lookout. A friend wanted to get me “an orchid didn’t have and I received this. Have always been bewildered by the apparent variety among P. insigne so I never picked one out. Plant seems healthy and is beautifully potted so I’m looking forward with hope to an easy bloom. Still need to call you for help selecting an RO filter. Your KelpMax continues to produce thrilling results, including on my window-grown Vanda coerulea (2 of 3 first-bloom seedlings about to open) and my recently deflasked Orchid Zone P. fairrieanum seedlings, in which I noticed a surge within 24 hours of feeding. Thank you for everything!

Hey Slippertalkers. I received a plant with this tag; anyone know what “moortibensis” might be?
How is your 'Moortebekiense' coming along, Brucher...any chance to see it in flower soon?
If no buds, it probably needs to be put cooler for a periode the next couple of months for the first developing of next years flowers.

How is your 'Moortebekiense' coming along, Brucher...any chance to see it in flower soon?
If no buds, it probably needs to be put cooler for a periode the next couple of months for the first developing of next years flowers.
Hey there! Thanks for asking! Nope, no buds yet. Two reasonably robust growths, so I am hopeful. Recently repotted, doing well. Lowest leaf on each is senescing; I find often that when that happens, if I get the temps right, I get buds. Hasn’t been very cold here yet but when those temps drop, they drop in my windows down into the high 40s (during extreme cold). So, I think I can give this sucker what you’re telling me it needs. I have never had insigne before this one, advice appreciated. Looking at it, I feel like it wants some extra calcium so next waterings will be Cal-Mag heavy. What do you think?

Attachments

• EC0D2FBF-7B10-47C0-AD6A-A718DBE13171.jpeg
    EC0D2FBF-7B10-47C0-AD6A-A718DBE13171.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 12
  • 9D1D3ECB-F1A1-4016-BAEB-F2E2C97BF0B9.jpeg
    9D1D3ECB-F1A1-4016-BAEB-F2E2C97BF0B9.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 12
  • 77443501-A505-4705-9CEE-2F8BCFE6DAB1.jpeg
    77443501-A505-4705-9CEE-2F8BCFE6DAB1.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 12
I would just remove the two yellow leaves... but I'm not the best to ask for advice concerning added Cal. I use 3/4 spring water and 1/4 tap water... and as the latter is quite high on Cal, here I've never had the need for adding extra... in the summer, though, I add Mag. (Epsom salt) once in a while for the plants in the most bright light.

I would just remove the two yellow leaves... but I'm not the best to ask for advice concerning added Cal. I use 3/4 spring water and 1/4 tap water... and as the latter is quite high on Cal, here I've never had the need for adding extra... in the summer, though, I add Mag. (Epsom salt) once in a while for the plants in the most bright light.
I let them get brown so they pull away most easily without leaving ragged edges. I’m using K-Lite and I think it works great but every so often I get a feeling that a plant wants something more, so I switch it up with some fish emulsion, Cal-Mag, Ray’s liquid, Epiphyte’s Delight.

Moortebeek is a village around Brussels capital of Belgium.
That’s wonderful info! I’m excited to see these bloom. Ray alludes above to a plate from the 19th century; well, it actually appeared in an Australian slipper Facebook group and I screen captured it! Can’t wait to compare the flowers of this little sprig to the plate. Maybe I am the last cultivator of this named variety? Wouldn’t that be something?

Latest posts

Back