Paphiopedilum insigne var. moortibensis

Discussion in 'Paphiopedilum' started by BrucherT, May 31, 2019.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. May 31, 2019 #1

BrucherT

BrucherT

BrucherT

Hey Slippertalkers. I received a plant with this tag; anyone know what “moortibensis” might be? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. Hoping it rings a bell to someone.

Attached Files:

2. May 31, 2019 #2

Ray

Ray

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast

"Moortebeekiense" was a varietal name applied to a number of orchids in the late 19th century.

I can find no particular reference explaining what that is, but if you consider that the "-iense" or just "-ense" as being a way to identify a variety "from" a specific geographic region, that leads us to Moortebeek, which is a region just west of Brussels, and none of the associated orchids are native to there.

There is a de Bruyne plate where an odontoglossum hybrid cultivar was incorrectly identified as "variety" Etoile De Moortebeek, so maybe it is simply a cultivar.

BrucherT likes this.
  3. May 31, 2019 #3

BrucherT

BrucherT

BrucherT

Wow Ray thank you for this response! Never heard of the appellation but will be on the lookout. A friend wanted to get me “an orchid didn’t have and I received this. Have always been bewildered by the apparent variety among P. insigne so I never picked one out. Plant seems healthy and is beautifully potted so I’m looking forward with hope to an easy bloom. Still need to call you for help selecting an RO filter. Your KelpMax continues to produce thrilling results, including on my window-grown Vanda coerulea (2 of 3 first-bloom seedlings about to open) and my recently deflasked Orchid Zone P. fairrieanum seedlings, in which I noticed a surge within 24 hours of feeding. Thank you for everything!

4. May 31, 2019 #4

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Ray the 'super sleuth'!

5. Jun 1, 2019 #5

Ray

Ray

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast

No, Ray the curious Google user.