Paphiopedilum insigne fma. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never been there but I guess It should be quite dry and windy. Think an evaporative cooler Is a must but Is there enough water? Seen some shots of the Island very little vegetation.
I've never been there, either, but from what I've heard, the islands as a whole have a very varied climate, vegetation and topography. The closer the islands are situated to Africa, the more arid they are.

I've never been there, either, but from what I've heard, the islands as a whole have a very varied climate, vegetation and topography. The closer the islands are situated to Africa, the more arid they are.

Jens, it's not only a problem of the situation closer to Africa....it's more a problem of the passat winds. The north-west passat brings clouds and rain to the mountains of the north-west island and so a lush vegetation. La Gomera the 'greenest' island is situated in the cloud accumulation zone in front of the mountains of Tenerife and therefore hast the highest rainfall of all islands. The most east islands Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are without the influence of the north-west passat and so they are more aride. And to say it frankly....I haven't been their yet, too....but I intended 2 times to go their, but everytime I had to burie my plans due to different reasons.

Last edited:
Guru and Guidal your statements are true.
I have seen a similar situation in Perù, Caribbean islands and other places. In Perù for example Lima and the west coast in general Is totally arid with almost no rains, the East side of the Andes instead is lush green with tropical rain forests.

Back