Paphiopedilum insigne ‘sanderae’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting that it has spots. I thought that the Sanderae color form only had green/yellow coloration?

Hello...Its a very nice paph, but I am not sure its insigne "sanderae" it looks more likely that it could be a hybrid with it...The insigne sanderae has more narrow leaves and longer and flower has not this big broad dorsal...I have visited the Island Madeira in the Atlantic ocean since 1988 where they have a large flower market where the flower ladies has various tropical plants and Orchids available, among them Paphiopedilum insigne, both regular and the sanderae variety that they grow in large beds up in the mountains where it is a bit cooler and more moist, and they are quite often seen around in the gardens here and in houses as the climate is very suitable, so I have seen many of them and had a few myself through the years, and they do not look like this one here, it is a nice one and definitely has the insigne sanderae in it but I am certain its not the species...I Will try and find photos of it from travels down there and plant of my own to post😇

Hello...Its a very nice paph, but I am not sure its insigne "sanderae" it looks more likely that it could be a hybrid with it...The insigne sanderae has more narrow leaves and longer and flower has not this big broad dorsal.......
Hamiltons, you may be on the right track. When I wrote my post #4 on last monday I was only focussed on the lovely flowers. After I read your post I looked at the leaves of my Paph. insigne and paph. insigne fma. sanderianum and yes, they are more narrow than that of David's plant. At any rate their are a lot hybrids out there which flowers look like a dead ringer for true species.

Last edited:
Hamilton, you may be on the right track. When I wrote my post #4 on last monday I was only focussed on the lovely flowers. After I read your post I looked at the leaves of my Paph. insigne and paph. insigne fma. sanderianum and yes, they are more narrow than that of David's plant. At any rate their are a lot hybrids out there which flowers look like a dead ringer for true species.
Yes for certain its very beautyful and looks like a big sanderae🙂👍

Very interesting that it has spots. I thought that the Sanderae color form only had green/yellow coloration?
I think the latter, perceptive commentators might be in the right concerning the possible hybridic nature of David's Paph. I myself didn't notice the first time round - Kudos to you eagle eyed out there!

The 'true' albinistic colour form of P. insigne, i.e. without a trace of anthocyanin (red colour pigment) is named fma. sanderianum. Fma. sanderae has small specks of red pigment. No matter how many or how few, just one tiny spot will make the correct designation of the plant fma. sanderae!

Latest posts

Back