Paphiopedilum in China - A interesting new book

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stranger than fiction. And yes, P. hangianum is listed in that book as from China. Yunnan, if I recall correctly.

Just to clarify, P. delenatii has still only be found in southern Vietnam?

Delenatii has been found only in central-south Vietnam, around Dalat to Nha Trang.

It's normal about hangianum being listed from China, they have so many plants and hybrids, and it will be a way to legalize their plants. Hangianum never comes close to the Chinese border in fact...

- Many in-situ pictures, similarly to the Paphiopedilum in Vietnam book have never been taken by the authors, but by the collectors, whose are provided with a camera for that purpose. It is sometimes very unclear whether the pictures in Paphs of Vietnam as an example are really in-situ, or plants stuffed in a place and pictures taken. The photo by Averyanov of the paph vietnamense seedling in-situ as an example is bogus like hell...

You're right. I just took a look at Averyanov's book, and a few of the photographs certainly DO look a bit staged to me. However, that may just be the power of suggestion acting.

I peronally visited the area where paph hangianum growth from the wild last year. As far as I know, paph hangianum is growing no where near china, the book would be a joke to me if it is claming paph hangianum is species from china.
BD

Sam Tsui has these books for sale. I got one from him last January. It has some very good paph information in it.

Is there any bookstore or anyone in Australia who is stocking this book????
Yuan280.00 (AUD45.00) seems fair to me. Even there are comments above suggesting the book is not 'accurate' to say mildly, I like to get one, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Latest posts

Back