Paphiopedilum hynaldianum var laurae.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIN

Reaction score
Would like to share another weird species from Philippine got it as a division last Jan 2017 the petals is unusual opened about a month ago.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 49
The plant/flower in question actually seems to confirm pretty nicely to Andres S. Golamarco Jr.s description of the variety:

"... this new variety have a shorter inflorescence 25~35cm long and the petals are downswept almost parallel along the sides of the pouch. The spotting near the base of the dorsal sepal are either reduced or absent. The pouch and the base color of the dorsal sepal and petals are yellow bronze to orange-tan in color" (cit. from Dr. Tanakas homepage, 'Newly described Paphiopedilum', no. 68).

So unless mr. Golamarco Jr. happened to stumble on a whole area filled with phillippenese plants all suffering from magnesium deficiency....I think DIN would do wisely in sticking to the nametag on his division (sic!)! :D :D

I for my part would have loved to get a division of his rare plant, if he weren't situated so damn far away (CITES-wise!)!

Most kind regards,
Jens,
Copenhagen, Denmark

Looks like a lowii x hynaldianum hybrid. This must be newly found as Jun did not mention this in his book. I will check with him where this was found. Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe deficient magnesium..? The inflourescence also shows signs of deficiency
I'm not that sure or maybe but the fertilizer that I was used got magnesium could be other factor or genetically like that.

The plant/flower in question actually seems to confirm pretty nicely to Andres S. Golamarco Jr.s description of the variety:

"... this new variety have a shorter inflorescence 25~35cm long and the petals are downswept almost parallel along the sides of the pouch. The spotting near the base of the dorsal sepal are either reduced or absent. The pouch and the base color of the dorsal sepal and petals are yellow bronze to orange-tan in color" (cit. from Dr. Tanakas homepage, 'Newly described Paphiopedilum', no. 68).

So unless mr. Golamarco Jr. happened to stumble on a whole area filled with phillippenese plants all suffering from magnesium deficiency....I think DIN would do wisely in sticking to the nametag on his division (sic!)! :D :D

I for my part would have loved to get a division of his rare plant, if he weren't situated so damn far away (CITES-wise!)!

Most kind regards,
Jens,
Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks Jens for the valuable info that you wrote in this thread unfortunately is slow growing species at one time only single fan is yielded.

Looks like a lowii x hynaldianum hybrid. This must be newly found as Jun did not mention this in his book. I will check with him where this was found. Very interesting.

As far as I'm concern there no lowii in Philippine and I got the plant from vendor in Mindanoa well very tricky and interesting thought thanks gego.

There are no haynalds in Mindanao probably in Palawan and lowiis are found there too. There is an island bridge from Mindanao to Borneo which is the main route for smuggling. Check your sources.

Latest posts

Back