Paphiopedilum huonglanae 'Sumo Balls'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roth

Reaction score
I like the clonal name...

emersoniisumoballszx5.jpg

Apart from that, it is on of the best emersonii/huonglanae I have ever bloomed or seen, with a 11.5cm flowerspan. In bloom today. More pictures of huonglanae to follow.

Sanderianum,
Just beautiful.:crazy:
You got to work to expedite the vietnamese government for permission to exporting these flasks to USA.
afterall, I see MADE IN VIETNAM shoes, pants, furnitures etc... in every store in the USA .

How high is the stem of the flower Xav? That is def a nice one. the Huongs are def better than their counter parts.

BTW, is this var. taxonomically valid? Author, journal, year please. Please diagnose for us. Not being an ass, just feeding my need for order.

-Ernie

BTW, is this var. taxonomically valid? Author, journal, year please. Please diagnose for us. Not being an ass, just feeding my need for order.

-Ernie

Published in a vietnamese review:
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/newpaph4.html

And the author of huonglanae republished it later as emersonii var. huonglanae. For sure it is a valid variety to tell those plants apart from the Chinese emersonii.

I will take better pics today of that one and some others, and check the flower stem lenght as well!

Huonglanae has more "nicer quality" flowers than the emersonii from China, but the very high quality are still very, very rare. Petals that do not recurve, dorsal large and flat... Of all the parvis, emersonii and var huonglanae are the most difficult to find a really good quality flower, or even a "nice" one. Many are really ugly.

Dear Sanderianum,
the name Paph. huonglanae was really published in Vietnam but the article did not include an official description with latin diagnose and a typespecimen. So it was only a tradename or nom. illeg.. On this base it was also not possible to make a combination as variety.

In the same journal also other names were published, which could not be accepted officially, like Paph. caobangense (Paph. tranlienianum) or in another publication in the last years Paph. tuananhii or trantuanii.

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Sanderianum,
the name Paph. huonglanae was really published in Vietnam but the article did not include an official description with latin diagnose and a typespecimen. So it was only a tradename or nom. illeg.. On this base it was also not possible to make a combination as variety.

In the same journal also other names were published, which could not be accepted officially, like Paph. caobangense (Paph. tranlienianum) or in another publication in the last years Paph. tuananhii or trantuanii.

Best greetings

Olaf

I will track back the original publication for huonglanae, then you have maybe some work to describe that, or everyone has to let it as a "horticultural nam"... Paph trantuanii has been validly described, I still have the original description with latin diagnosis and holotypus...

Published in a vietnamese review:
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/newpaph4.html

And the author of huonglanae republished it later as emersonii var. huonglanae. For sure it is a valid variety to tell those plants apart from the Chinese emersonii.

I will take better pics today of that one and some others, and check the flower stem lenght as well!

Huonglanae has more "nicer quality" flowers than the emersonii from China, but the very high quality are still very, very rare. Petals that do not recurve, dorsal large and flat... Of all the parvis, emersonii and var huonglanae are the most difficult to find a really good quality flower, or even a "nice" one. Many are really ugly.

Th Vietnam emersonii tend to present on taller stems from what I have noticed. The flowers are def nicer and dorsals much more likely to be flat.

Latest posts

Back