Paphiopedilum hookerae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The narrow form of the flower looks like it, but the green ovary, the spotted markings on the petals, the oval staminode, the missing dominant veins on the pouch and the coloration looks more like hookerae to me. As I bought it I only have the tag (Hilmar Bauch), which says hookere. Of course I can't be sure if it's not a hybrid. That's to discuss...

The flower is interesting. To me it seems to show the influence of P. sangii in the dorsal sepal and also the attitude of the petals. I also doubt that it is a pure hookerae but it's still an interesting one for your collection.

I think this flower falls comfortably within the norms of the hookerae for several reasons:

1. dorsal sepal has no purple marks at the base like sangii or its hybrids
2. petals do not have have the horizontal striations of the sangii or its hybrids
3. staminode is within the range of the hookeraes

I suspect the flower may be not the best form in this flowering (one growth bloom) and the petals droop somewhat (which is also common in hookeraes). Perhaps a subsequent blooming might be perkier LOL.

Thanks all of you for your oppinion, I'm very grateful!
I think I agree with you Leslie, by the features mentioned. Only I had no idea of their importance and dominance in hybridisation.
How important would be the colour of the ovaries?

Unfortunately the fotos were taken in a later state of flowering, when the petals drooped a little bit more. For comparison I attach a foto which was taken earlier by mobile.
I'm looking forward to the next bloom!

IMG_20200317_171544.jpg

Ah yes Musa, I forgot to mention the ovary color. The sangiis have dark brown with white hairs, while hookerae have green ovary with light brown hairs (sometimes white).

Hopefully next year there will be the second bloom which enlightens a lot... I keep you posted!

Latest posts

Back