paphiopedilum Ho Chi Minh forma album ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
new hybrid delenatii album x vietnamense album in flask :rollhappy:

neat!
i don't entirely understand genetics, but will some be album and others be normal colors?

But if both parents are album shouldn't all the seedlings be album?

David
I'm not a geneticist, but it does depend upon the genes involved in the albinism. It's quite possible to have two album species crossed and produce all normal offspring.

In this case I am guessing it will be the same gene, and by the looks of the foliage they will be all 100% albino.

Let us know when they bloom. Can't wait....

Robert

Yes, if the albinism matches up on the same gene(s) and loci in both parents, they will all be albino. Pretty easy to imagine since del and viet are so closely related.

For the record, albino del is properly Paph. delenatii fma. albinum.

-Ernie

I did a little research this evening and found a section in Novelty Slipper Orchids - Breeding and Cultivating Paphiopedilum Hybrids (Koopowitz and Hasegawa, 1991) on pages 39 - 41. It explains the various groups of species which exhibit albinism and how they intereact when crossed. One thing that I learned was that it's possible for two different (collected) albino clones of the same species when crossed may end up with normal colored offspring! Another tidbit that I read stated that expression of color for the warts on the petals may be under different genetic controls than for the petals and sepals. Anyway, the book is quite an interesting read!

Yes, if the albinism matches up on the same gene(s) and loci in both parents, they will all be albino. Pretty easy to imagine since del and viet are so closely related.

For the record, albino del is properly Paph. delenatii fma. albinum.

-Ernie

Assuming that the flowers are just white, why albinum and not album? Doesn't the designation albinum allow green and/or yellow to be present and album is white and only white? If my previous statements are correct, albinum would be acceptable for a white flower, but wouldn't album be the better choice since it more accurately describes the flower?

Gary

PS - Thanks for the enjoyable presentation to the Madison Orchid Guild last month.

Assuming that the flowers are just white, why albinum and not album? Doesn't the designation albinum allow green and/or yellow to be present and album is white and only white? If my previous statements are correct, albinum would be acceptable for a white flower, but wouldn't album be the better choice since it more accurately describes the flower?

Gary

PS - Thanks for the enjoyable presentation to the Madison Orchid Guild last month.

I had the same question not too long ago:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2899

Now that I think about it, I think Guido decided to go with the term albinum, because if you look at the flower there are yellow pigments present (on the staminodal shield). If the staminodal shield was all white, it should have been album

Robert

Gary

Gary,

Enjoyed my quick visit to Madison. Always a good time.

To answer your question bluntly, "because that's what it is validly named".

The Good Doc gives a view of why it was called albinum, but...
Seriously, if someone wanted to describe an albino slipper as fma. vinicolor, they could as long as they did it properly and accroding to the rules outlined in the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (or its Cultivated Plants version). People don't do that because it's just silly, not because there's a rule against it. There are no guidelines to the exact name one should give a taxon, just the manner in which it is done. The grammatical rules of the language used (gender etc) also hold. That is why there are no alba Paphs, just album. Make sense? Paphiopedilum and album; Cattleya and alba... see the endings? They are important in Latin, Greek, and many other languages (except English :) ).

-Ernie

Shoot, even Olaf calls Paphs alba once in a while in posts. It makes me grind my teeth, but it's the "street lingo". :)

-Ernie

Paphiopedilum and album; Cattleya and alba... see the endings? They are important in Latin, Greek, and many other languages (except English :) ).

-Ernie
That's how I remember these. I think Paul Phillips pointed that out some time ago in a Slippertalk thread.

Latest posts

Back