Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum var. chiwuanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BLReed

Interesting article in September 2014 AOS Orchids. Seems several plants have been presented for judging labeled as Paph. chiwuanum or Paph. hirsutissimum var. chiwuanum. Article has several photographs for illustration.

"The fact that several plants have appeared almost simutaneousle suggest that they are part of a larger seedling population that is reaching flowering size. These are not Paph. chiwuanum and are, in fact the hybrid of Paph. hirsutissimum and Paph. henryanum registered in 2002 as Paph. Frank Zettle."

Main distinction is in the staminode.

Same article Holger Perner "pointed out that another hybrid is making the rounds selling for hundreds of Euros on the European market and likely to show up here as well. This hybrid. Paph. Hans Strahl (Bidborough x hirsutissimum looks like a "giant" or polyploidy strain"

Moral of the story is to watch what you buy and from whom. If it is a nice flower enjoy. Just label it correctly.

The "Hans Strahl" is most likely the "fake" 'Taka' that has been discussed on this forum some time ago. Wichmann sells it for €450:rollhappy:
Any particularly big and impressive ,selected hirsutissimum is a mine-field IMHO:evil:

When these "chiwuanum" started showing up on websites a while back, including at least one very reputable company, it was pretty obvious they were Frank Zettle or a similar hybrid. One photo even made it into OrchidWiz. I don't understand how anyone could see this flower and sell it or present it for judging as chiwuanum without an unhealthy level of self-delusion or outright dishonesty.

ignorance mostly-some of them can be a bit misleading to new growers. They see bright colors and miss the details. I am sure I am guilty of it.

Genuine ignorance excuses much, but I doubt that those who choose to sell or buy chiwuanum, or take it to a judging center, can generally claim the ignorance of a newbie.

I agree with the selling part. Experienced growers who already have one to compare it to, as well.

Latest posts

Back