Paphiopedilum Hilo Citron & leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Hilo Citron is Alma Gavaert x Hsinying Citron.
This one was bought in bloom three years ago. Then it shot up two pubs, both of which took too years to mature and bloom together last summer.
This year, there's only one bloom, but the other fan is nearly mature.
I love this maudiae & curtisii combo flower shape.

Hilo%20Citron_zps6kmtcezt.jpg

This is my first leucochilum (the tag says 'Black' x 'Orange' but apparently the dark color is not inherited on this one, or more correctly hidden somewhere deep inside its genome lol) bought two years ago at a show.
It was two small growth plant sold as a flowering size, but it obvisouly wasn't. It grew in size and number of leaves, at least doubled.

I am not into brachy, but I just loved the glossy leaves with beautiful silver marks and so bought it without thinking much. This one has extra shinier leaves than most others I have seen although this picture does not show how glossy the leaves really are.

It is now 7 growths plant with one of the original fans in bloom. The other fan is also in low sheath.
The flower is wonky, but it looks so cute in person. I'm rather surprised by it and I sort of understand why many people fall in love with leucochilum.
Relatively large flower on a very short neck with interesting marks.
The thing is it also smells bad.

leuco_zpsdlgveoba.jpg

Lovely plants, did not know that the leuchos smell bad, is that a common trait (as you understand I am not familiar with brachys)?

Lovely plants, did not know that the leuchos smell bad, is that a common trait (as you understand I am not familiar with brachys)?

The other brachy hybrid I posted recently also had the same bad scent, although not as strong. That one had part godefroyae and mostly concolor.

This leucochilum smells the same but much stronger. So I'm thinking it comes from leucochilum?

I have other hybrids with 25 godefroyae 75 niveum. No smell on those.
lol

Both are awesome, and I will take all bad smelling paphs off your hands lol.

I might get rid of the other one, but it is growing a new fan and it is so cute to watch it grow.
Never know. I tend to throw things out in bulk when I feel like it. lol
I just tossed a few last week, and I plan on bringing some more next week to the local meeting. So I'm good for a while I think.

I do have quite a few vini maudiae type hybrids around, and I plan to get rid of them all as they bloom again only keeping to myself about three favorites.
I need room so I can have fun buying new plants. hahaha

Nice twosome... That Hilo Citron is gorgeous... I do think concolor and barbatum have a smell like pee.. :p

Yeah, Hilo Citron is a great cross.
I bought it in bloom in a heartbeat.

Didn't know paph. barbartum was also stinky.
This leucochilum and my other brachy are definitely stinky. Like cat pee. lol

excellent growing. the green paph is very well grown.

In the time given, leucochilum is a much better grower but the new fans are mostly shaded by the bigger growths and I wonder how they would make their way out of the bush since the leaves are quite hard. Will see.

Hilo Citron was bad in the beginning taking two years to nature and bloom again, but it did have two fans going at the same time.
Now the third bloom only took about one year.
Still there's no sign of new fans yet, so the speed is still rather low.
I hope it does well because I like the flowers on this plant.

I have a very vigorously growing Maudiae album hybrid but it's too big and I'm going to take it to the meeting next week along with some dark flowered varieties.

I am nursing a few babies from Orchid Inn and need room. :)
Hopefully at least one of them will turn out to my liking. It's still a few years away from flowering. Sigh~

Latest posts

Back