Paphiopedilum henryanum in the wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@hakone: That is not orchid, one kind of shortia I think, it look like this (the leaf about 3cm round)

CXC_8183.jpg

I just finished a job near my house in TN. Dripping limestone cliffs just coverd with mosses, ferns,...... but no henryanums:eek:

Now you know what to plant in TN! :poke:
Mr. Canh, any canhii photos!? :eek:

Well it grows great in my GH, but I doubt it could handle the below freezing winter temps we still get.

Maybe with global warming I can try it in a decade or two.:wink: But if we keep getting droughts, then we may end up as a desert by the time we loose our freezing winters.:(

Now you know what to plant in TN! :poke:
Mr. Canh, any canhii photos!? :eek:

Do you mean just photo or photo in the wild.

For this trip I still have many single photo of Paph henryanum and I don't know shall I post it all here or not (it quite look similar)

Some example:

2012915730341547160685.JPG

2012915730356272942.JPG

201291573035118669617.JPG

2012915730351959393902.JPG

201291573035851675949.JPG

I wonder if regular driveway gravel might be a good addition to a potting medium for henrys. I'm also wondering how to acquire a thin piece of limestone to
mount one on for experimentation purposes. Might be
interesting. I love the photos. Each one tells a little
story about how henrys grow. Thank you so much.

I wonder if regular driveway gravel might be a good addition to a potting medium for henrys. I'm also wondering how to acquire a thin piece of limestone to
mount one on for experimentation purposes. Might be
interesting. I love the photos. Each one tells a little
story about how henrys grow. Thank you so much.

I'm using regular driveway gravel in my baskets with henry's and it's working just fine. At this point its about a 75/25 ratio of gravel to moss. If humidity was kept around 75% you could probably go to 100%.

I know a Judge in Atlanta who said he had one mounted on a chunk of limestone.

For living in the Kentucky/Tennessee area I'm surprised you haven't stopped at any road cut or hiked along any creeks to pick up all the limestone you need.

Most of the species that grow with Paph henryanum can be Pholidota but I'm not sure and I'm asking some people who might know.

Latest posts

Back